Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero 230gr JHP Load Data?

NacsMXer

I just ordered 1000 Zero 230gr JHP's for use in a full size Kimber and Springfield 45 ACP. Will be using primarily for target/plinking so just looking for a moderate load using W231/HP38. I've never loaded a 230gr JHP before, only FMJ ball, so i'm looking for some load ideas. Anybody have some data they could share please? Thanks.

Edited by NacsMXer

If your FMJ stuff was also 230 grain, you should be able to fire away with your old data..... In the interest of "standard reloading advice" start a bit low and work up. I imagine that every manual in print will have a load for a 230 grain projectile in .45acp and W231.

Good luck

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

ZERO has load data for their bullets using HP-38 which is the same powder as WIN 231. Their load data for the 230 gn JHP uses 5.8 - 6.2 gn HP-38 with a COAL of 1.200-1.220 with a .469 min straight crimp.

For their 230gn FMJ they use 5.4-5.8gn HP-38 with COAL 1.245-1.265

My target loads using their FMJ 230 gn: 5.3gn WIN 231 COAL 1.260. However I do have a Baer which likes 5.6 gn.

Start using 5.0 gn and work up loads for each 1/10 gn and see what your pistol likes; also need to play with the COAL.

ZERO has load data for their bullets using HP-38 which is the same powder as WIN 231. Their load data for the 230 gn JHP uses 5.8 - 6.2 gn HP-38 with a COAL of 1.200-1.220 with a .469 min straight crimp.

My target loads using their FMJ 230 gn: 5.3gn WIN 231 COAL 1.260. However I do have a Baer which likes 5.6 gn.

Start using 5.0 gn and work up loads for each 1/10 gn and see what your pistol likes; also need to play with the COAL.

Hey QDM this is a question for you as I don't know where else to put it except up for grabs in the Forum proper.

I'm shooting 2xStack Para .45 - please keep the jeering to a minimum as I've heard it all & don't care! - in Limited. I can't get those freekin' guns to rum full-out. They work fine at the range but when I put the gas to them in a match they do all manner of stupid s*. I've loaded 1.200 - 1.250- & nothing works. I've asked all my friends & I get all kinds of advice...none of it is the same - & none of it works! I'm shooting MG 230 FMJ ball. Should work, right? Easy to work with, right? Well it doesn't. I just re-sprung my mags & I know they have to be spotless inside & I do it all. Just wondering if you might have a magic answer!

Thanks,

-jb

Just coming back to this thread to follow up. Thanks very much for all the advice I appreciate it fellas.

I did end up using Zero's own load data sheet for establishing test loads. Everything Quick Draw McGraw said is correct. For OAL, they specify between 1.200 and 1.220". I chose to use the longer 1.220" OAL to start since it's on the safer side.

I loaded up 10 rounds each using 5.3gr, 5.5gr, and 5.7gr of Hodgdon HP-38.

I was also experimenting with Hornady 230gr XTP JHP's at the time, so I also loaded 10 each of 5.3, 5.5, and 5.7 HP-38 for comparison. (Hornady specifies 1.230" OAL for this bullet)

Both bullets felt quite similar as far as recoil feel. Compared to factory 230gr ball, 5.3gr felt a little on the light side, 5.5gr felt right on par, and 5.7gr felt a little stout/snappy.

It was the first time running any type of JHP's through my Kimber Grand Raptor II, and it loaded the truncated cone shaped Hornady XTP bullets and more rounded hollow point Zero's without issue. I decided to stick with 5.5gr of HP-38 for both bullets as it felt most like a traditional .45 ACP round.

Zero's powder charge data seems like it would be pretty hot, almost in +P territory. I stopped at 5.7gr, and they go all the way up to 6.2 @ 1.220" OAL...yikes. Must be geared more towards being a self defense round.

Here is Zero's own 45 Auto Load Data sheet for their in-house production ammo if anybody is interested.

*https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/Vstar2FJR/ZERO45ACP.jpg*

remove the "s" in https above, this site won't let me add links yet^^^

Edited by NacsMXer

Just coming back to this thread to follow up. Thanks very much for all the advice I appreciate it fellas.

I did end up using Zero's own load data sheet for establishing test loads. Everything Quick Draw McGraw said is correct. For OAL, they specify between 1.200 and 1.220". I chose to use the longer 1.220" OAL to start since it's on the safer side.

I was also experimenting with Hornady 230gr XTP JHP's at the time, so I also loaded 10 each of 5.3, 5.5, and 5.7 HP-38 for comparison. (Hornady specifies 1.230" OAL for this bullet)

Both bullets felt quite similar as far as recoil feel. Compared to factory 230gr ball, 5.3gr felt a little on the light side, 5.5gr felt right on par, and 5.7gr felt a little stout/snappy.

It was the first time running any type of JHP's through my Kimber Grand Raptor II, and it loaded the truncated cone shaped Hornady XTP bullets and more rounded hollow point Zero's without issue. I decided to stick with 5.5gr of HP-38 for both bullets as it felt most like a traditional .45 ACP round.

Zero's powder charge data seems like it would be pretty hot, almost in +P territory. I stopped at 5.7gr, and they go all the way up to 6.2 @ 1.220" OAL...yikes. Must be geared more towards being a self defense round.

Here is Zero's own 45 Auto Load Data sheet for their in-house production ammo if anybody is interested.

You wouldn't happen to have any load data on 2xStacks would you?

230 ball in a 2xStack is a friggin' nightmare!

My SS takes anything (1.200 - 1.265) but as I said above, when I put the gas to the 2xStack it's "go home" time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-jb

My SS takes anything (1.200 - 1.265) but as I said above, when I put the gas to the 2xStack it's "go home" time.

-jb

Don't have any experience with the double stacks sorry.

-jb

Don't have any experience with the double stacks sorry.

Thanks . . . & you're lucky!

They'll break your heart!!!

-jb

• 4 months later...

I got both FMJ and JHP from Zero. The JHP bullet will seat deaper in the case since it's a little bit longer. Might want to back your charge by a bit if you want to maintain the same velocity.

Dated thread but: I have a couple thousand of each the 230gr Zero JHP and FMJ from last year. I measured a few and the JHP comes in at .637 while the fmj measured .655. The area above the ogive on the JHP appears to be wider than the FMJ round. Although one would think the JHP would be the longer of the two it's actually the other way around. At least on the ones I just measured. My reloading notes seem to back up this observation as I noted the adjustment to the aol to compensate for the difference when using the same powder charge.

Edited by traderpats

I got both FMJ and JHP from Zero. The JHP bullet will seat deaper in the case since it's a little bit longer. Might want to back your charge by a bit if you want to maintain the same velocity.

Dated thread but: I have a couple thousand of each the 230gr Zero JHP and FMJ from last year. I measured a few and the JHP comes in at .637 while the fmj measured .655. The area above the ogive on the JHP appears to be wider than the FMJ round. Although one would think the JHP would be the longer of the two it's actually the other way around. At least on the ones I just measured. My reloading notes seem to back up this observation as I noted the adjustment to the aol to compensate for the difference when using the same powder charge.

*** yeah, you have to load short for hollow-point & short for 2xStack.

I've switched to LSWC so the COL doesn't matter, just the shoulder & I've had ZERO problems.

-jb

• 1 year later...

Hey QDM this is a question for you as I don't know where else to put it except up for grabs in the Forum proper.

I'm shooting 2xStack Para .45 - please keep the jeering to a minimum as I've heard it all & don't care! - in Limited. I can't get those freekin' guns to rum full-out. They work fine at the range but when I put the gas to them in a match they do all manner of stupid s*. I've loaded 1.200 - 1.250- & nothing works. I've asked all my friends & I get all kinds of advice...none of it is the same - & none of it works! I'm shooting MG 230 FMJ ball. Should work, right? Easy to work with, right? Well it doesn't. I just re-sprung my mags & I know they have to be spotless inside & I do it all. Just wondering if you might have a magic answer!

Thanks,

-jb

What specifically is the malfunction?