Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Separating the steel pins at the end of the wet cleaning process ?

I use a nylon mesh bag with a zipper to separate pins and brass. This was part of my Pond filter when I had a pond, it held a filter. I drop the contents of the wet tumbler into the bag, zip it shut, and tumble, shake, rattle and roll to separate the little pins into a large plastic bucket. I just dry the clean brass on paper towels on a work bench in the garage, over night does all I need, except for .38/.357, those I stand on end (primer side up) so the water will drain out. It is more time consuming, but pulling bullets on 50 or more completed rounds due to contaminated powder is even slower!

I have also used a metal strainer bought at Dollar Store to do the same thing, but I have to pick each round and shake the pins out when I use that.

• 2 weeks later...

A 5 Gallon paint strainer and a Lyman Turbo Super Sifter is what I use.

I sift the brass and pins over the strainer in a 5 gallon bucket and rarely have to use my FA Media Magnet. Now that Freedom Munitions is doing brass coated steel cases, I have to use the magnet...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a very simple method with excellent results, and have never had a stuck pin.

After tumbling I take the cap off and put the FA strainer cap on. I pour the dirty water into a fine mesh strainer, which catches any pins that may come out. I fill with clean water and rinse a few times until no soap is present and clean water only comes out, I shake it up a bit while rinsing.

After all rinsed, I fill it partially full of water and dump it into the strainer. I shake it straight up and down, until 99% of the media is in the strainer. Fill it partial up with water again and shake it up, and flip it upside down shake hard again over the strainer.

I then pour the brass into a bin, and run the magnet around to pick up and straggler pins. Then the brass goes into the dehydrator where I inspect for pins or damages to brass.

Works really good for me and only takes about 5 mins or so.

After using pins for a year or so, I decided to try without the pins, and it is almost as good, and I don't have to separate the durned things. I only tumble for about an hour, rinse and dry on a towel. The high and dry climate here makes it simple to dry over night, as long as none are upright...Nope, I don't de-cap either..I just use a very small drop of dish detergent, hot water and let the action of the tumbler take over..

• 2 months later...

While a Dillon something will work, of course, spend $10 bucks for a salad spinner. I spin it by hand (the cranks are wimpy) a few times, dump the shells on a towel and the pins into a fine strainer then rinse. I dry my cases on the top of my shed. doesn't take long in Phx. I will add that I only separate a lb at a time using an HF tumbler. Some would say "cheap", I prefer "thrifty".