Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Thunder Limited - Maintenance Questions

sstephns

Quick question for anyone that can help. I picked up a CK Thunder Limited from the forum here, and with the major match season coming up I want to make sure I'm tuned up. This is my first 2011, but I assume it's 99% identical to maintenance on a 1911.

My main question is, what is the factory spring weight, and do they run on stock 1911 recoil springs? It's a reverse plug guide rod.

Second, the after extractor. Should I put the second spring in if it's currently running fine? Probably 5-8000 rounds through it since new, maybe 10,000. 

Third, any particular maintenance I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

I would email Bobby or Matt (CK) and ask those questions. I'm thinking its well past time to put both springs in the aftec since they ship with just one installed for break in of a thousand rounds maybe. But then again, part of me wants to say if it's running perfect don't mess with it. :)

It will take a standard 1911 spring and those guys will tell you what weight range works best in their gun with a given load. Make sure to include your load info when talking to them.

Other than those few things I would just shoot it!

Also, most feeding issues trace back to ammo or mags so if the mag springs are not fairly new I would change them.I change mag springs every winter

^^^ THIS!

Listen to The Sarge. 

The only thing I would add is pay attention to the top bushings and screws in the grip and the screw forward of the trigger guard. Make sure they are tight and stay tight. I also change my magazine springs and followers (followers, if they are in bad shape) once a year.

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I would email Bobby or Matt (CK) and ask those questions. I'm thinking its well past time to put both springs in the aftec since they ship with just one installed for break in of a thousand rounds maybe. But then again, part of me wants to say if it's running perfect don't mess with it. :)

It will take a standard 1911 spring and those guys will tell you what weight range works best in their gun with a given load. Make sure to include your load info when talking to them.

Other than those few things I would just shoot it!

Also, most feeding issues trace back to ammo or mags so if the mag springs are not fairly new I would change them.I change mag springs every winter

10-4. Didn't want to bug them if someone knew the answer here but will certainly email them.

Mags are all brand new mbx with maybe 500 rounds each through them.

1 minute ago, sstephns said:

10-4. Didn't want to bug them if someone knew the answer here but will certainly email them.

Mags are all brand new mbx with maybe 500 rounds each through them.

Mags should be good then.

Email either of them now and they'll answer you tomorrow if not tonight. You won't be bugging them. They like helping customers.

The trigger guard screws already has been loctited in place, directions say install second spring at 5,000 rounds. Some people never install second spring as long as it keeps running. The symptom will be, leaving an empty case in chamber. Then you will have to install second spring, experienced this in my 9mm open gun. Limcat installs both springs to start. 

I would install next major cleaning. Extractor is harder to install with both springs. 

Keep it clean and lubed.

Edited by Hunter1998

Matt is going to tell you a 12 Wolfe spring probably that's what he puts in his customs. I would put the second spring in and make sure it works. While you have the extractor out clean the channel a 22 brush works great 

As for the mags they will tell you when they start getting wore out... I normally see bullets coming out when dropped and flipping around when they hit the ground as they get closer to replacement time, grab a thing of springs and throw on the shelf