Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-zero required with slugs after cleaning/take-down? (Benelli specific)

WS6

Is taking the shotgun down for cleaning (barrel removal) a good way to lose your zero with slugs (for the sake of this, to be off more than 1.5" at 25 yards, extrapolated out to 100, etc.), or do they return to zero imperceptibly fine?

• 2 weeks later...

When you take the barrel off the sigths stay on it so there will be no issue when you assenble the gun unless you purposely mess with the sights.

As poortrader says the 100 yard targets are big, ussually 24 x 24. So they are hard to miss.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Nordic barrel clamp on by Benelli and I have a scribe mark on the barrel to make sure the clamp is always in the same place. The screws that hold the clamp together have match marks on them so they get torqued down the same as they were before disassembly. With my home made low recoil slugs it will shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. If something changes my point of impact I can be pretty sure it isn't because of my barrel clamp if everything is in place.

If you are using a mag tube clamp here's a helpful hint for reassembling the gun to avoid undue barrel pressure from the clamp (All the non-clampers can skip the rest and proceed with your day):

Remove the mag tube extension from the coupling nut (or at least unscrew it about half way). Assemble the gun and screw the coupling nut on tight against the forearm. Screw the mag tube extension into place until it stops, then back it off about 1/8 turn (the goal is to allow the mag tube extension to have just a little movement). Install the clamp and tighten the screws (reasonably tight is good enough, no need to get heavy handed and crank too hard). Install the follower, spring and mag tube end cap.

Again, the goal is to allow the mag tube extension to have just a little movement so any pressure the clamp exerts moves the tube, not the barrel.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:59 AM, GunCat said:

If you are using a mag tube clamp here's a helpful hint for reassembling the gun to avoid undue barrel pressure from the clamp (All the non-clampers can skip the rest and proceed with your day):

Remove the mag tube extension from the coupling nut (or at least unscrew it about half way). Assemble the gun and screw the coupling nut on tight against the forearm. Screw the mag tube extension into place until it stops, then back it off about 1/8 turn (the goal is to allow the mag tube extension to have just a little movement). Install the clamp and tighten the screws (reasonably tight is good enough, no need to get heavy handed and crank too hard). Install the follower, spring and mag tube end cap.

Again, the goal is to allow the mag tube extension to have just a little movement so any pressure the clamp exerts moves the tube, not the barrel.

Very good advice from someone who knows. I learned that trick right here on the forum many years ago. It has worked for me.

Hurley