Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf 40-9 bulge and spitting primers?

Utah Shooter

Trying a load workup for my Gen 4 G35.  I purchased a lone wolf barrel so I could shoot 9mm through it.  I took it to the range with 4.2g of HP-38 and a 124gr Berrys OAL 1.110.  2 out of 20 not only blew primers but I noticed the brass had the "glock bulge."  I thought that the lone wolf barrels were made to not do this?  Am I loading too hot?

The first thing to do is check your load to make sure it's really 4.2 grains.  That should be a fairly mild load with HP-38/231 and should not be blowing out primers. If you have a chronograph, clock 'em to see how fast their going. 

1 hour ago, LeviSS said:

Are you crimping too much?

No .379-ish.

43 minutes ago, superdude said:

The first thing to do is check your load to make sure it's really 4.2 grains.  That should be a fairly mild load with HP-38/231 and should not be blowing out primers. If you have a chronograph, clock 'em to see how fast their going. 

Yeah that could be.  I am using a hornady autocharge to do them.  Guess speed would tell me that. 

About the bulge, almost all semi autos will bulge brass if the load is hot enough.  There has to be a "ramp" for the round to run up to get into the chamber.   This ramp will leave some of the brass less supported.   Some barrels have more support, some less.

You need to check the length of your rounds & be sure you aren't shoving the rounds into the rifling.   This will eliminate any "jump" from the brass into the lands which will increase pressure DRAMATICALLY!   If your powder charge is correct & so forth, this is possibly the problem.   VERY DANGEROUS!

You have your length listed but it is very possible your chamber is cut short.   Don't shoot anymore of these rounds until you find the problem

Edited by mlmiller1
another thought

On 1/21/2017 at 1:24 AM, Utah Shooter said:

No .379-ish.

Not sure what  type of bullet you're using, but on my coated lead ones, I need to be at 0.0377-0.378 to not leave an impression on the bullet. At 0.379, I'm confident that >50% of the rounds would have a noticeable impression on the bullet.

Edited by muncie21

22 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

About the bulge, almost all semi autos will bulge brass if the load is hot enough.  There has to be a "ramp" for the round to run up to get into the chamber.   This ramp will leave some of the brass less supported.   Some barrels have more support, some less.

You need to check the length of your rounds & be sure you aren't shoving the rounds into the rifling.   This will eliminate any "jump" from the brass into the lands which will increase pressure DRAMATICALLY!   If your powder charge is correct & so forth, this is possibly the problem.   VERY DANGEROUS!

You have your length listed but it is very possible your chamber is cut short.   Don't shoot anymore of these rounds until you find the problem

I am doing the plunk test and coloring the projectile with a sharpie.  I do not see any marks on it so I am sure that the bullet is not touching the lands.  I have been able to load them longer but to make sure they fit it all of my 9mm chambers I have made them shorter.  

35 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Not sure what  type of bullet you're using, but on my coated lead ones, I need to be at 0.0377-0.378 to not leave an impression on the bullet. At 0.379, I'm confident that >50% of the rounds would have a noticeable impression on the bullet.

Not sure if I am following.  The tighter .377-.378 is not leaving an impression but a .379 would? 

Edited by Utah Shooter

8 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

My mistake, not sure what I was thinking but whatever it was, it wasn't right.

Oh thats fine.  I hope you find your thought cuz I am dumbfounded.  

Only other thing that I can think of is overcharge due to Lee Adjusting Charge Bar.  I have a light that shines into cases to make sure that there is powder in the case. I ran into an issue last night looking at it.  Seems that while it does go back it does not line up how the disc does.  Perhaps somehow the grains were inaccurate.  I have changed back to the disc at 3.9 grains.  I checked every charge going in this time.   

Edited by Utah Shooter

2 hours ago, Utah Shooter said:

Only other thing that I can think of is overcharge due to Lee Adjusting Charge Bar.  I have a light that shines into cases to make sure that there is powder in the case. I ran into an issue last night looking at it.  Seems that while it does go back it does not line up how the disc does.  Perhaps somehow the grains were inaccurate.  I have changed back to the disc at 3.9 grains.  I checked every charge going in this time.   

get rid of the charge bar for light pistol loads.. you will find one day that there is nothing even dropped in a case.   best is to invest in the new auto drum for $40 .

8 hours ago, Utah Shooter said:

My thought was along the lines of your bullet diameter being large enough that you had to crimp at 379 versus a smaller 377/378 crimp.