Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal location of reddot from shooter's eye?

I like mine at the front of the lower, as far forward as possible, sometimes other necessities move it back a bit.

GpfJw2Yh.jpg

However on my rifle 45* it's near the rear due to scope mount location, not mounted in this pic but you can see the mount.

GHmM28th.jpg

Here's another rifle.

SwRpoODh.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

I shoot rimfire rifle in Steel Challenge.  For several years I kept my dot mounted at the front of the receiver.  A GM who I highly respect told me it was better to mount at the rear of the receiver because it gave a wider field of view when shouldered.  I told him that I thought It was doubtful that it would help matters.  We were practicing together for our championships so I kept everything the same until after the championship passed.  Always willing to experiment, though, I then moved the site back and gave it a try.  My times decreased dramatically immediately after the change, and they've continued to improve. Granted, the continued improvement Is due to any number of other factors, but the immediate spike can only be attributed to that one change, and I keep my dot mounted to the rear now.  

I prefer my red dot sights mounted closer to my eye as this gives the widest possible field of view and is the most forgiving of head position. The downside is that the sight body is proportionately bigger (knobs etc. occlude a larger part of the World), and the dot appears proportionately larger. One other consideration is how the mount might limit access to the charging handle - make sure you won't skin your knuckles when you cycle the bolt.

• 1 month later...