Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Bullets International 125gr TC Issue

jeffroberdo

To be clear, I wasn't asking for the procedure you go through to make sure loaded rounds will chamber okay.  I was asking for your procedure in determining the max OAL you could load to with a particular bullet.  1.05 is unnecessarily short.

You should load a dummy with that SNS at 1.10.  Resize, flare, seat, crimp to .377.  Then plunk and spin.  If it doesn't, start shortening a couple thousandths at a time until it does.  

Edited by IDescribe

@IDescribe, The reason for the 1.050 Depth is the bullet profile of this particular bullet. They have a Crimp Ring in them and my depth is pretty close to that crimp ring. Trust me, I stopped at that depth. Could have been a few thousandths shorter to seat inside that ring. I certainly would think 1.040 or shorter is way to short. Go to the SnS Casting website and look at this bullets profile and you will see what i am talking about. I was actually pretty happy with the way they performed.

58 minutes ago, jeffroberdo said:

@IDescribe, The reason for the 1.050 Depth is the bullet profile of this particular bullet. They have a Crimp Ring in them and my depth is pretty close to that crimp ring. Trust me, I stopped at that depth. Could have been a few thousandths shorter to seat inside that ring. I certainly would think 1.040 or shorter is way to short. Go to the SnS Casting website and look at this bullets profile and you will see what i am talking about. I was actually pretty happy with the way they performed.

you have a lube ring on your 125's? i have shot thousands and mine don't i load it to 1.14 as a standard minor load and it shoots out of everything i have. Gl/MP etc.  i use the same bullet in my open gun 

edit. i see you mean the sns have a ring. i think those were more designed as a 38 spec bullet.    

http://www.shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/

Edited by Sandbagger123

4 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

you have a lube ring on your 125's? i have shot thousands and mine don't i load it to 1.14 as a standard minor load and it shoots out of everything i have. Gl/MP etc.  i use the same bullet in my open gun 

http://www.shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/

The BBI 125gr TC bullets this post is originally about do not have a lube ring. The new SnS Casting 125gr FP bullet i am talking about does have a lube ring and a crimp ring.

26 minutes ago, jeffroberdo said:

The BBI 125gr TC bullets this post is originally about do not have a lube ring. The new SnS Casting 125gr FP bullet i am talking about does have a lube ring and a crimp ring.

yes and as i corrected in my post those bullets are probably for a revolver or 38 special . 

This SNS 125 is just an older style of mold, used with standard bullet lube. Most companys just use the same molds and powder coat or HI-Tek coat them SNS has some of the "New" style grooveless bullets that are coated and are available in flat point or round nose. these would each have their own OAL if used in the same weapon.

14 hours ago, jeffroberdo said:

@IDescribe, The reason for the 1.050 Depth is the bullet profile of this particular bullet. They have a Crimp Ring in them and my depth is pretty close to that crimp ring. 

Got it!  I was thinking of their 125 RN.  My mistake.   ;)   

I've never even noticed this bullet on their page.  Definitely a .38/.357 mold.

2 hours ago, IDescribe said:

I chose this bullet because i love the clean holes flat points put in paper and i wanted to try a 125 instead of a 147 Flat Point. Its listed under the 9mm section on SnS Casting site and sized at .356 so i decided to try it out. the 100 rounds of test ammo i shot, shot very well and 1.050 +/- is just my first batch. I have 3000 of these so some experimenting with O.A.L can be done but can only go so long due to the Lube Groove. I wouldn't mind a 1.10 length so this gives me a reason for more bench and range time.

16 hours ago, IDescribe said:

I think that it will rattle down the barrel and end up tumbling. In my experiance I've not ever seen a bullet made for 38 special/357 sized to .356.  on purpose. they usually need to be .357 and larger.

They're using one mould and sizing it two different ways after casting: .356 for 9mm and .358 for .38/.357.  The mould, however, has a crimp groove/cannelure so that it can be used with a roll crimp, which suggests that it was designed for .38/.357, not 9mm.