Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When should you use and Undersize sizing die?

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

I had setback when using a Dillon sizer. But only with certain components. MG bullets and FC BRASS were the worst. Thin case walls, slick HARD bullet, and a Dillon sizer added up to not enough neck tension.

Didn't check all calibers, noticed that the mg's were .355 in 9mm and the bullets I use (sns 147's) are .356 . 

19 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Didn't check all calibers, noticed that the mg's were .355 in 9mm and the bullets I use (sns 147's) are .356 . 

If you check enough of the MG's you'll find some as small as .3545.

Agreed, the coated bullets that are .356 don't NEED A udie but I never swap it out. 

Could be one or the other.  The die does not have as much bevel on the entrance as some do (Dillon, among others).  Press may not line up perfectly and with the lesser bevel make it more difficult to get case to enter smoothly.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Could be one or the other.  The die does not have as much bevel on the entrance as some do (Dillon, among others).  Press may not line up perfectly and with the lesser bevel make it more difficult to get case to enter smoothly.

Is it a common issue with these dies? There seems to be one guy on here who's terminally afflicted with it. 

2 hours ago, AbitNutz said:

Is it a common issue with these dies? There seems to be one guy on here who's terminally afflicted with it. 

Not common. They are used by thousands on progressive presses. The current thread about die alignment issues the op even states cases hit his Dillon die as well, but less.

I can load for hours and not have a misaligned case/udie

20 hours ago, AbitNutz said:

I ran the EGW dies for 9mm and .40 s&w on my 550b for several years and never had an issue with crunching the case that I didn't cause by being in a rush.

I'm running the same 40U die on the 650 now, and it feeds just fine.  Haven't tried 9mm yet.  That being said, this is just me and my experiences with the hardware.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:53 AM, Sarge said:

Your first comment is just not true. Case sizing prevents setback not crimp. If a case is sized right a bullet won't setback even if you don't crimp it. The tight sizer die creates good neck tension which is what holds the bullet in place. The crimp just flattens out the flare. As a matter of fact too many ch crimp can actually reduce neck tension.

As to the 2nd point, not running a udie can indeed lead to setback. 

I had setback when using a Dillon sizer. But only with certain components. MG bullets and FC BRASS were the worst. Thin case walls, slick HARD bullet, and a Dillon sizer added up to not enough neck tension.

The only time I'd agree that crimp holds a bullet is in a situation where cannalured bullets are used in roll crimped applications

Very true, neck tension is everything. Over taper crimping can actually decrease neck tension. The ONLY crimp that actually prevents set back is roll crimping as used in revolvers.

So who makes the best taper crimp? Or doesn't it matter? I have heard that the Lee carbide FCD is not a good thing as it can actually swage down the bullet. Also, how do you handle expanding/belling the case when using the EGW undersize, sizing die? Do you need to do or have anything special done to the expander die/funnel? Wouldn't a normal size funnel defeat the undersize sizing die?

26 minutes ago, AbitNutz said:

So who makes the best taper crimp? Or doesn't it matter? I have heard that the Lee carbide FCD is not a good thing as it can actually swage down the bullet.

MOST OF AND S JUST TURN IT OUT SO ALL IT DOES IS CRIMP.

Also, how do you handle expanding/belling the case when using the EGW undersize, sizing die? Do you need to do or have anything special done to the expander die/funnel?

NOTHING

Wouldn't a normal size funnel defeat the undersize sizing die?

NO