Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest 147gr/N320 load?

Patrick Scott

I've been using 2.9 grains of N 320 with an OAL of 1.17 with pretty good results but groups were around 2 inches at 25 yards from a rest.  I switched to 3.2 grains and got the groups down to below 1 inch.  Can't tell that much difference in the recoil but accuracy is so much better this is the load I will stay with.

I'm shooting these out of my S&W 929.

Edited by AzShooter
added gun info

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

I've been using 2.9 grains of N 320 with an OAL of 1.17 with pretty good results but groups were around 2 inches at 25 yards from a rest.  I switched to 3.2 grains and got the groups down to below 1 inch.  Can't tell that much difference in the recoil but accuracy is so much better this is the load I will stay with.

I'm shooting these out of my S&W 929.

what kind of fps are you getting out of the 3.2gr load? 

Thanks for the input guys. I have been working on a PCC load since my normal 3.0gr PRD load ends up in the upper 140pf range out of the rifle. I was curious if I could reduce dot movement going down to a load that went 130pf out of the rifle. I loaded up ten rounds each, in 1/10 intervals from 2.3 to 2.9gr. 2.8 got me where I wanted with a slight reduction in dot movement vs my PRD load. FWIW all the loads under 2.6 got me SDs in the 30s and 40s. Id say thats about the lower limit one would want to go. Luckily I got what I wanted before that happened.  All the loads were with BBI 147s loaded at 1.110oal, WSP, mixed brass.

Edited by Patrick Scott