Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose primer pockets

johnbu

A GM buddy has his guns out getting them modified and I had him shoot one of mine w light springs. To be safe, he used my reloads. Well, he had a click no boom that cost him dearly.  found the round, no primer.  I check as loading, box with primers up. No way it was missed.  I have had a couple range pick ups with loose primer pockets where the primer fell out. This one must have been just snug.   Shucks!

Any thoughts on how to find loose pockets ?

Even in the media? I was thinking of just rattling a couple hundred without media to allow any loose ones to drop out. 

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I lube my cases Then load.  Then tumble for a bit to clean the lube off. Any loose primers come out while tumbling.

i would do something about it for sure. I load on a 550 and I can feel the loose pockets. I mark those rounds with a sharpie and throw them in the reject bin that i shoot when it's snowy out and I just leave the brass lying. I've also gotten in the habit of looking at the primers as i'm loading mags during a match, even tho I know I have inspected all the rounds before.

5 hours ago, johnbu said:

Even in the media? I was thinking of just rattling a couple hundred without media to allow any loose ones to drop out. 

I stand by my original recommendation of the Ballistic Tools primer pocket swage gage.  IMO, it would take less time and effort to use the gage on each case than to run them through the tumbler again.  Like most everything in reloading, the time and effort required to add a process depends on how the process is integrated into your normal procedure.

I don't see how the 3000 finished rounds can use the go/no go gage easier than in a tumbler.

;) Lol. I guess I wasn't very clear that my first concern was weeding out potential loose ones in the finished ammo. Sorry for any confusion.

I also deprime resize on the press as they are being reloaded. Yeah... I'm one of "those guys" that still hasn't converted to cleaning wet with pins, so using the gage would add much to the process currently used.

4 hours ago, tcoz said:

I stand by my original recommendation of the Ballistic Tools primer pocket swage gage.  IMO, it would take less time and effort to use the gage on each case than to run them through the tumbler again.  Like most everything in reloading, the time and effort required to add a process depends on how the process is integrated into your normal procedure.

12 hours ago, johnbu said:

I run my loaded rounds through the tumbler just like JCC7x7 and for the same reasons.

10-15 minutes in clean walnut reserved just for the purpose. Every now and then with range brass you'll find one has lost it's primer in the media.

Haven't had a problem losing a primer in the mag since starting this and it adds very little time to the reloading process.

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

I don't see how the 3000 finished rounds can use the go/no go gage easier than in a tumbler.

;) Lol. I guess I wasn't very clear that my first concern was weeding out potential loose ones in the finished ammo. Sorry for any confusion.

I also deprime resize on the press as they are being reloaded. Yeah... I'm one of "those guys" that still hasn't converted to cleaning wet with pins, so using the gage would add much to the process currently used.

I'm also one of "those guys" who hasn't and probably won't convert to wet tumbling. 

The gage can't be used on finished/primed rounds.  I do a final inspection of my brass after cleaning by laying a batch (50 cases) out and rolling them.  While they're laying on their side I just quickly slide the gage in and out of each primer pocket and it adds little time but then again I'm not in any hurry since I reload a lot more than I shoot.

And I thought I was the last walnut holdout!

Sadly, I have a kid that also shoots.  so I "get to" reload a lot, but don't get to shoot as much as I need to. :(

For many, I'm low volume, but I've gone through 3600 115gr, 3400 124gr and 6600 135gr this season. Still have that 3000 to shoot out of those. Using a lee toadmaster,  it takes some time!

johnbu, at times I've been almost embarrassed to admit that I still tumble with corncob with everybody else wet tumbling with stainless pins or using ultrasonic but I don't want to deal with having to dry my brass afterwards.  I have zero dust problem that a lot of people talk about.  It's probably a combination of the media I use, the solid lid on the tumbler and the quartered dryer sheets that I throw in.  I've been using the same media 2-3 times a week for over a year now and it still cleans well.  

You're definitely not low volume by my standards.  I load six calibers and have probably gone through half what you have all combined but I've probably loaded twice as many because I enjoy it so much.  I use a Redding T-7 and load everything including pistol in batches.  Gotta love it to do it like that.

Reloading for some is a chore, duty or necessary evil.  I get that, it can be...especially when the toadmaster falls out of its precarious tune.  But generally, it's a peaceful time when I can think quiet thoughts.  

Oddly, I was just thinking that I'm on the same batch of media too... sort of.  I add more walnut shell to the bucket occasionally to account for spillage as I dump to and from the vibrator. Instead od drier sheet, I toss in strips of paper towel. Seems to keep dust down well, and we don't use drier sheets.