Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Separate Shooting Areas - Choose One

Graham Smith

I think that I asked this before but can't seem to find the thread. Is it legal to create two separate areas and make the space between them Off Limits? IOW, you can start and finish in only one of the two areas but not cross between them? All targets would, of course, have to be visible from either area.

The idea is that one area might make it easier to get some targets but harder to get others. For example, a popper tied to a swinger. The popper shot is easy from one area while the swinger shot is easy from the other.

Not sure where I'm going with this. Just one of those random drive by thoughts while working on a stage design.

Look at Rule section 1.1.5

I'm familiar with it and there is nothing in there that requires that non-contiguous shooting areas to be connected. As long as all targets can be seen and engaged from each shooting area.

You can specify where a shooter starts by the requirement to have their toes on a start line or such.

Wouldn't that take the freestyle element out of it? By doing what you describe, the COF is not the same for every shooter unless every shooter shoots the stage in the same way. While it does sound interesting, I don't think you can mandate that you can't move between shooting areas.

Wide45 has the best way to make that happen...it's up to you to make it unappealing for the shooters to move.

I think that I asked this before but can't seem to find the thread. Is it legal to create two separate areas and make the space between them Off Limits? IOW, you can start and finish in only one of the two areas but not cross between them? All targets would, of course, have to be visible from either area.

The idea is that one area might make it easier to get some targets but harder to get others. For example, a popper tied to a swinger. The popper shot is easy from one area while the swinger shot is easy from the other.

Not sure where I'm going with this. Just one of those random drive by thoughts while working on a stage design.

Make the area between the shooting areas off limits with the off limits area running far enough to the rear that it would not be quick to move from one area to the other. The off limits rope or tape would be easy enough to duck under for the RO's and competitors during scoring as well as for moving into the other shooting area if they should change their mind about which area they want to shoot from.

Perhaps I need to explain why I asked this question. I frequently do partial stage designs that I can flesh out later. The other day I sketched out something with two shooting areas as wide apart as I could make them. The shooter could start on ether side and there was a connecting area right at the start with the center area off limits. IOW, I did it the same way people have been suggesting.

Then I got to wondering if there was any requirement to connect the two areas. I know most of the design rules in Ch 1 fairly well but opened the book and went over them again. I'll freely admit that can see no reason why I might want to do this given the simple alternatives but I couldn't find anything that said I couldn't do it.

As to it not being freestyle, I don't agree. You can start anywhere in either of the two areas and move anywhere within your chosen area. All targets are visible from each area. It's up to you, as a shooter, to evaluate the two options and choose the one that you think is most advantageous to you - that's pretty much the essence of freestyle right there.

From my POV on this, if I have to put a connecting corridor between the two areas to make it legal, then that's a case of adhering to the letter of the law but not the spirit since no one in their right mind would ever take that path.

Again, this isn't something I plan on doing, but it's worth thrashing out just to get a better understanding of the rules.

Wouldn't that take the freestyle element out of it? By doing what you describe, the COF is not the same for every shooter unless every shooter shoots the stage in the same way. While it does sound interesting, I don't think you can mandate that you can't move between shooting areas.

Wide45 has the best way to make that happen...it's up to you to make it unappealing for the shooters to move.

Every competitor has the same option at the start.....

Choose wisely.....

Perhaps I need to explain why I asked this question. I frequently do partial stage designs that I can flesh out later. The other day I sketched out something with two shooting areas as wide apart as I could make them. The shooter could start on ether side and there was a connecting area right at the start with the center area off limits. IOW, I did it the same way people have been suggesting.

Then I got to wondering if there was any requirement to connect the two areas. I know most of the design rules in Ch 1 fairly well but opened the book and went over them again. I'll freely admit that can see no reason why I might want to do this given the simple alternatives but I couldn't find anything that said I couldn't do it.

As to it not being freestyle, I don't agree. You can start anywhere in either of the two areas and move anywhere within your chosen area. All targets are visible from each area. It's up to you, as a shooter, to evaluate the two options and choose the one that you think is most advantageous to you - that's pretty much the essence of freestyle right there.

From my POV on this, if I have to put a connecting corridor between the two areas to make it legal, then that's a case of adhering to the letter of the law but not the spirit since no one in their right mind would ever take that path.

Again, this isn't something I plan on doing, but it's worth thrashing out just to get a better understanding of the rules.

It could make for a very interesting short stage......

You know -- do you want to engage mini-poppers at 30 yards or swingers at 30 yards?

You know -- do you want to engage mini-poppers at 30 yards or swingers at 30 yards?

That's basically what I was thinking. The original stage design was a V shape with an off limits area in between. That got me wondering about two parallel lanes instead. If I had a large enough area to do it, it might be interesting.