Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt load for a 627

buckaroo45

I'm a 63 year old member of the South Florida division of the Oklahoma "Fat Man Shooting Team". I'm going to the US Steel Shoot in Titusville, Florida the end of March. I plan to use a S&W 627 revolver but I'm having difficulty coming up with a low recoil load. I have 38 short colt and 38 special brass, Federal SP primers, Clay's / Titegroup and Bullseye powders but can get most others from shooting club compadre's. I have several thousand 125 gr black moly bullets. Any recipes?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My plan for this stage is "Keep shooting until I hit something"

OAL 1.135 OAL

Titegroup will most likely be the most accurate, followed by CLAYS and then Bullseye.

Start at 3.0grains of TG. You will most likely end up somewhere around 3.6gr or so for the best accuracy. but of course, it depends on the gun, and you too......I would taper crimp with a 9mm die, and give it a healthy crimp.

It is a great match, and I wish I was coming down this year.....

If you need anything else, please PM me....

Good luck,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

• 2 months later...

I'm a 63 year old member of the South Florida division of the Oklahoma "Fat Man Shooting Team". I'm going to the US Steel Shoot in Titusville, Florida the end of March. I plan to use a S&W 627 revolver but I'm having difficulty coming up with a low recoil load. I have 38 short colt and 38 special brass, Federal SP primers, Clay's / Titegroup and Bullseye powders but can get most others from shooting club compadre's. I have several thousand 125 gr black moly bullets. Any recipes?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My plan for this stage is "Keep shooting until I hit something"

This is probably a little late but try betterbullets.com and get the 150 grain 38 super and get it in the .358. Then 2.7 to 2.9 VV N310 and OAL 1.160 for 38 short colt. At the 2.9 should give you 850 fps and the 2.7 should give you about 750 fps.

• 1 year later...