Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot AP for the first time

Resjudicata

Well, I got to shoot an indoor practice match with the guys at Pioneer gun range here in KC last night. It was a hell of a lot of fun. They are a very good group to shoot with. Also, a very sobering experience for a USPSA shooter. That damn 10 ring looks a lot smaller when shooting under a par time. :blush:

The par times for a few of the strings are not all that generous. The first stage I shot was the barricade and I only got 4 rounds off on the first string before the damn targets turned back. I remember thinking, "DAMN that was quick!" :roflol:

My score wasn't anything to write home about. I can't wait to shoot more of it.

Chris

Well, I got to shoot an indoor practice match with the guys at Pioneer gun range here in KC last night. It was a hell of a lot of fun. They are a very good group to shoot with. Also, a very sobering experience for a USPSA shooter. That damn 10 ring looks a lot smaller when shooting under a par time. :blush:

The par times for a few of the strings are not all that generous. The first stage I shot was the barricade and I only got 4 rounds off on the first string before the damn targets turned back. I remember thinking, "DAMN that was quick!" :roflol:

My score wasn't anything to write home about. I can't wait to shoot more of it.

Chris

Great, keep us posted on how much you like it. You have just experienced one of the most addictive shooting events ever. The serious bullseye shooters think, "the ten ring is 8" and most shots are at 10-25 yds what is the problem"? The spped shooters think, "what you don't have to reload during any of those strings, what is the problem"? The moderate speed and accurac y shooters think " eight inch ten ring and don't have to reload, what is the problem"?

You now have experienced the problem. The problem is that it should not be a problem, that is a huge problem when one starts thinking. My suggestion would be, to shoot the events without complete regard to time limits in order to imprint subconsciously the COF and the skills required to do what is needed to shoot as good as your equipment and skill level will enable you to do. As your comfort level improves and your skills build, then the time limits will become easier.

On different training days shoot the events within the time limits and just aim center mass. The better shots will be X and tens just by the law of averages as your wobble carries you across the target center. As you get closer to match day, certainly work more on making the time limits, as time limits are critical in this game.

Good luck and enjoy the fun. See you at the Cup?

MJ

Sounds like a good time, I had planned to make it out there last night for the first time but had other schtuff come up. I shoot bowling pins with a couple of the guys who shoot out there and they've been on me to come out. Maybe in 2 weeks I'll have my schedule worked out.

Great, keep us posted on how much you like it. You have just experienced one of the most addictive shooting events ever. The serious bullseye shooters think, "the ten ring is 8" and most shots are at 10-25 yds what is the problem"? The spped shooters think, "what you don't have to reload during any of those strings, what is the problem"? The moderate speed and accurac y shooters think " eight inch ten ring and don't have to reload, what is the problem"?

You now have experienced the problem. The problem is that it should not be a problem, that is a huge problem when one starts thinking. My suggestion would be, to shoot the events without complete regard to time limits in order to imprint subconsciously the COF and the skills required to do what is needed to shoot as good as your equipment and skill level will enable you to do. As your comfort level improves and your skills build, then the time limits will become easier.

On different training days shoot the events within the time limits and just aim center mass. The better shots will be X and tens just by the law of averages as your wobble carries you across the target center. As you get closer to match day, certainly work more on making the time limits, as time limits are critical in this game.

MJ

I knew this sport is going to be challenging. And I'm not disappointed. This will be fun and I'm sure it will help my USPSA scores in the long run.

Yep, I'm planning on going. A friend and I are going to send out entries in this week. Hopefully we aren't too late.

Chris

MJ

I knew this sport is going to be challenging. And I'm not disappointed. This will be fun and I'm sure it will help my USPSA scores in the long run.

Yep, I'm planning on going. A friend and I are going to send out entries in this week. Hopefully we aren't too late.

Chris

Chris,

You have good group of guys there, and I am sure they will offer a ton of help. Likewise on the BE FORUMs. There is no doubt that if learn to do well at NRA AP, it will make you are better shooter, and a better able to handle this thing called pressure. NRA AP is a pressure cooker, not because it is easy, and not because it is hard, it is a pressure cooker because it is doable. Shoot a ten, then repeat it, 191 times.

MJ

• 2 months later...

We had the first outdoor full 1920 match today. Wow, that X-ring is really small at 50 yards. :blink:

I also shot the mover for the first time today. That was damn fun. I had some trouble with trying to shoot at the X-ring rather than the lead a couple times and I also stopped tracking to take a couple of the shots but overall did alright. 31 points down for the first time shooting it.

The Cup is going to be fun. :goof:

Chris