Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate ranges that charge by the hour!

GrumpyOne

Recently, my local range changed hands. With the previous owner, he charged by the hour, but if you only used the range for 15 minutes, then you only paid for 15 minutes (The range price was $12.00 per hour, so for 15 minutes it was $3.00). The new owners have changed it all around. Now, during the week (which I'm never home in time to use the range!), it's $8.00 per hour and $12.00 per hour on the weekends, AND you pay for the entire hour even if you only are in there for 15 minutes! So now, instead of paying $3.00 to chrono and test loads, I have to pay a minimum of $12.00 AND buy their targets at $1.50 each! I just got back from the range and it cost me $16.00 just to shoot 50 rounds in 15 minutes! But, they do offer a membership, $25.00 per month, which is still more than what it would cost me under the old owner (Plus, I'd still have to buy their targets!). :angry2: I need to find me a new place to shoot..... :sick:

Even our weekly matches have gone up. Used to be $8.00 for the match, regardless of how many people showed up. Now, the new owner is trying to pay for the range, so he says he's got to make $100 for the match for us to use the range, so if only 8 people show up, it's $12.50! Granted, if more show up, it's cheaper, but in this small town.... :unsure:

Add to this, I went in there yesterday to shoot and was told it would be a 1 1/2 hour wait because 4 of the 10 lanes were broken and there were a bunch of new shooters ahead of me. :huh: Apparently, they have been broke for a while, just no one has gotten back there to fix them.

You could try offering to fix the lanes in return for free 3yr membership. That is how I shoot for free regularly. I work out trades like this. Makes this sport almost affordable. Now I just spend my money on reloading components.

Just a thought. Time is money, yours and theirs.

Yep. I agree. Make friends with the owners, explain your predicament and see if they can help you.

I have a local range that I have a great relationship with. They have allowed me the privilege of shooting after hours during one of their classes and I get private range access for an hour or two a week. Its the best practice I get and I owe the owner a ton. He treats me great and I'll do anything for them.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without them. They've afforded me a ton of expensive time.

Shoot. Rules.... YEAH! I hate expensive, worthless range time too! lol.

Edited by Seth

You could try offering to fix the lanes in return for free 3yr membership. That is how I shoot for free regularly. I work out trades like this. Makes this sport almost affordable. Now I just spend my money on reloading components.

Just a thought. Time is money, yours and theirs.

That's what I did with the old owner. I welded and made all new target hangers as needed, welded the baffles back up, fixed the targets retrievers as needed. I suggested this to the new owner and he says he's got his own sources to fix the issues. I even made up a brand new target hanger (at my expense), gave it to them, told them to call me if they needed anything more, never a peep. The old owner charged $30 if you shot down a hanger, I fixed them for free, but I shot for free. The really crappy thing is, I live less than half a mile from the range! Now, even if I do find a new range (not likely in my area), I'll have to drive God knows how far!

Edited by GrumpyOne

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)

Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)

Hate Forum Rules:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097

[note: this is a generic reply]