Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M.S.T.N. 17"

olp73

Is there anything spesial about a M.S.T.N. 17" topend or can any long gas system rifle be taken down to 17” without trouble.

I would like one, but they are not sold over here!

Not really.....its a Noveske barrel with a rifle length gas system and a special medium weight contour.

I've been shooting an upper that I built identical to that one for the past two seasons. I love it.

I've been shooting an upper that I built identical to that one for the past two seasons. I love it.

anything about it that you specifically like? do you feel the rifle-length gas system is more reliable then a carbine-length? have heard others say a mid-length gas system has "less" recoil, i have not had a chance to fire one myself. Is there anything about the gas system in your 17" upper that impacts felt recoil, i.e. does it behave differently then a similar upper with a carbine gas system would?

thanks, jared

anything about it that you specifically like? do you feel the rifle-length gas system is more reliable then a carbine-length? have heard others say a mid-length gas system has "less" recoil, i have not had a chance to fire one myself. Is there anything about the gas system in your 17" upper that impacts felt recoil, i.e. does it behave differently then a similar upper with a carbine gas system would?

thanks, jared

Jared,

Given like components, ie bolt carrier and buffer weight, any rifle length gas system will feel "softer" than a carbine length system. It is essentially a factor of lengthening the gas pulse to operate the bolt and carrier.

That being said there is a lot of combinations involving carrier weight, buffer weight, buffer spring, and adjustable gas systems that can vary these factors.

With respect to behavior my experience has been that it is a lot easier to get a gun with a rifle length gas system to be not only a little softer in recoil but also have less movement, which is very important when you want to go fast at distance.

thanks, jared

Jared,

Given like components, ie bolt carrier and buffer weight, any rifle length gas system will feel "softer" than a carbine length system. It is essentially a factor of lengthening the gas pulse to operate the bolt and carrier.

That being said there is a lot of combinations involving carrier weight, buffer weight, buffer spring, and adjustable gas systems that can vary these factors.

With respect to behavior my experience has been that it is a lot easier to get a gun with a rifle length gas system to be not only a little softer in recoil but also have less movement, which is very important when you want to go fast at distance.

Thanks for the reply. Expect I've still got quite a bit of oppty to improve just staying with the kit i've got and drilling the basics, but i'm keen to learn what kind of advantage you <might> be able to get from different gear if all other things stayed the same.

-jared

Is there anything spesial about a M.S.T.N. 17" topend or can any long gas system rifle be taken down to 17” without trouble.

If you want a barrel close to that you could order a 18" Noveske SPR and have it reprofiled (lightened) and cut and re-threaded to 17". Thats essentially all that was done to that barrel.

Edited by cold

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a barrel close to that you could order a 18" Noveske SPR and have it reprofiled (lightened) and cut and re-threaded to 17". Thats essentially all that was done to that barrel.

All the Noveske 18" SPR barrels that are listed now have an "intermediate" gas system. Has anyone shot one of these and how does it compare to a rifle length gas system. Seems like the rifle length would shoot and feel softer. Did Noveske do this for reliability reasons?

All the Noveske 18" SPR barrels that are listed now have an "intermediate" gas system. Has anyone shot one of these and how does it compare to a rifle length gas system. Seems like the rifle length would shoot and feel softer. Did Noveske do this for reliability reasons?

I run a intermediate gas system on a 17" and 18" barrel from Noveske. I honestly dont notice a difference in recoil impulse between rifle length and intermediate, especially on my 3 gun rifle. I'd doubt many people would notice the difference honestly. As I understand it, its a reliability thing. I will double check and get back on this just to be certain.

Edited by cold

I have two JPs, one 18" with a rifle length and a 16" with a mid length gas system and even with the gas system tuned, the 16" has slightly more impulse than the 18, not much, but definitely noticeable. The 16 has the heatsink, which the 18 doesnt, so the weight is pretty much identical.

Edited by gose

I used to run a 20" sabre barrel that had mid length gas and just recently switched to rifle length gased JP. Really couldn't tell that much difference once the gas was adjusted. The JP rifle has a rifle buffer in it and the Sabre gun has a carbine buffer setup and that seemed to change the feel a little bit.