Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sear angles

rooster

I have a Ron Powers jig and the chart says to stone the primary and secondary angles on 25 clicks. Jack Weigand on his 2.5 lb trigger pull article says to use 4 clicks and cut the hammer hooks at 901/4 degrees. What is the difference in this relationship. Most premium hammer hooks are really good right from the factory at 90 degrees. And unless you have a mill of some kind you are not going to get 901/4 by hand. Can I do 4 clicks and leave the hooks alone. Or stay with the factory angle at 25 clicks. All the trigger jobs I have done have been at factory angles or 25 clicks. And I get 2.5lb and lighter pulls. Just wondering if the 4 clicks is smoother, better, lasts longer or whatever. And if you go the 4 do you need the 901/4 angle on the hammer.

The good quality hammers (Koenig, STI, SVI, etc) have hooks that are cut at 90 degrees and only in need of polishing with a ground (90 degree edges) white extra fine ceramic stone such as carried by Brownells (080-721-601) to clean up light tool marks. Then using Brownells Trigger Adjustment Pins and a good 10x loupe I check the fit of the primary angle of the sear and the hammer hooks. If they are not matched I will stone the sear on a Power Custom fixture so they do match. This is absolutely key. The number of clicks on the fixture is changed as needed. I don't change the angle of the hammer hooks. I will stone the depth of the hooks. The change is applied to the primary sear angle.

I like the Koenig/EGW hard sear combination. A bit pricey but great parts.

CYa

The good quality hammers (Koenig, STI, SVI, etc) have hooks that are cut at 90 degrees and only in need of polishing with a ground (90 degree edges) white extra fine ceramic stone such as carried by Brownells (080-721-601) to clean up light tool marks. Then using Brownells Trigger Adjustment Pins and a good 10x loupe I check the fit of the primary angle of the sear and the hammer hooks. If they are not matched I will stone the sear on a Power Custom fixture so they do match. This is absolutely key. The number of clicks on the fixture is changed as needed. I don't change the angle of the hammer hooks. I will stone the depth of the hooks. The change is applied to the primary sear angle.

I like the Koenig/EGW hard sear combination. A bit pricey but great parts.

CYa

The only things that you should have care are: that the hammer hooks are perfectly at 90°, and that the primary angle on the sear are done in the way that you get 2 surface (sear primary surface and hammer hooks surface) that are totally osculatory. So you should adapt your click to get this result.

More easier to do than explane :roflol: