Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Through Small Ports

10ring

Came across a SNAFU a couple of weeks ago while shooting a local match. One of the stages required you to shoot through a small port while standing in a box right next to the barricade, (with port). I think I must have had my pistol positioned in the port such that during recoil, the slide caught up somewhere in the port causing a jam. I looked into the ejection port and I had a live round in the chamber with another round being fed behind it. I locked the slide back, pulled the mag out, shook out the live round in the chamber and re-inserted the mag. I then went to drop the slide with the slide stop and it wouldn't budge! I pushed and pushed but no go. I pulled the mag out again, re-inserted again, and then was able to drop the slide. What I think happeded is that I over inserted the mag to the point where it was wedged and jammed the slide stop.

This was on a Limited class pistol built up on an SV frame. What can I do to prevent being able to over insert a mag such as this? The 140mm mags don't seem to have any sort of stop to prevent this.

Guest Larry Cazes

Sounds like you actually jammed the slide on the back of the mag tube by overinserting the magazine with the slide locked open. If I use STI mags in my Para this will happen. Are you using SV mag tubes? Mine will not overinsert like that on my .40 SV.

Larry

As Erik mentioned, I think the only way you can avoid it 100% is to make sure you gun won't lock back. Or, make sure you do all of your slide lock reloads with one of your short mags.

Another this is that it's probably not a great idea to put your gun through the port if you can avoid it. I realize there are time when you have no choice because of the angles and target positions, but if you can, don't poke your muzzle into the port.