Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping ammo to S&W shooting range in MA

Are there any restrictions for shipping ammo to the S&W range? I will be purchasing it from an online store and ask them to deliver it at the S&W shooting range in MA for the competition.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Should not be a problem getting it there, but MA laws are VERY strict. DON'T, whatever you do, keep your firearm in anything but a locked case that you (or others) cannot see into, and keep NO ammo with it. I would also (I live here) see if the range would keep the ammo for you overnight, or find a trusted person at the match who has a MA license to carry (gun license) if they will not. I don't know how knowledgeable some of the officers are, nor the intricacies of ammo possession by a foreign resident.

Springfield can be a "tough" town too, try to hook up with a local or five if going out at night- they've been having a lot of gang issues as of late.

Have fun at the match though, and if you have time, check out the Basketball Hall of Fame, it's pretty cool.

Should not be a problem getting it there, but MA laws are VERY strict. DON'T, whatever you do, keep your firearm in anything but a locked case that you (or others) cannot see into, and keep NO ammo with it. I would also (I live here) see if the range would keep the ammo for you overnight, or find a trusted person at the match who has a MA license to carry (gun license) if they will not. I don't know how knowledgeable some of the officers are, nor the intricacies of ammo possession by a foreign resident.

Springfield can be a "tough" town too, try to hook up with a local or five if going out at night- they've been having a lot of gang issues as of late.

Have fun at the match though, and if you have time, check out the Basketball Hall of Fame, it's pretty cool.

Thank you very much for all the advice. I will make sure I keep everything in mind. I have never been to MA, what other places should I visit? I am arriving 2 days before the competition. What should visit in Boston?

Thank you in advance.

... I have never been to MA, what other places should I visit? I am arriving 2 days before the competition. What should visit in Boston?

Thank you in advance.

Here's a link to Boston stuff to do: http://www.bostonusa.com/

And for some great BBQ and beer - next to Boston in Somerville, MA is Redbones BBQ http://www.redbones.com/

Are there any restrictions for shipping ammo to the S&W range? I will be purchasing it from an online store and ask them to deliver it at the S&W shooting range in MA for the competition.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

I would definitely check with the vendor, as many will not ship to MA, due to crazy laws.

If that becomes and issue, you can probably find somebody in the area (like in CT) that is also going to the match (unfortunately I am not)

In Boston itself, for entertainment see Blue Man Group

Near the S&W Sports Shooting Center is also the Indian Motorcycle museum

If you like Basketball, Basket Ball Hall of fame

Enjoy and dress warm. The S&W Tunnels can be cold while shooting so wearing thermal underwear is a good idea.

I have no idea why Round Gun Shooter omitted the Springfield Armory Museum! It's far more intersesting than basketball, motorcycles and a bunch of guys in makeup. :D

Are you staying in the Boston or the Springfield area? It takes a bit of time to travel between the two. The USS Constitution ship in Charlestown is a nice tour, if you prefer to ride a tourist bus and see a lot quickly, the Trolley Tours do a good job.

You can also check out Faneuil Hall/ Quincy Market, where the United States was "born", the Old North Church where the warning of the Brisith invasion was sent from, the historical sites are numerous in Boston.

...and yes, dress warm. February in Massachusetts (especially western MA) tends to be pretty cold. Average daily temperatures are right around 30 degrees Farenheit.

Are you flying into Boston or Hartford?

We are staying in Sprinfield, but we will fly into Boston. It will be a group of 7 of us so we will have a huge van to drive around and visit the area for a couple of days prior to the competition.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Next April we will be hosting the first IDPA Costa Rican Match so everyone is invited. I bet you would love a week long vacation in Costa Rica, visit some beaches, shoot a nice match, etc...

In Boston itself, for entertainment see Blue Man Group

Near the S&W Sports Shooting Center is also the Indian Motorcycle museum

If you like Basketball, Basket Ball Hall of fame

Enjoy and dress warm. The S&W Tunnels can be cold while shooting so wearing thermal underwear is a good idea.

I have no idea why Round Gun Shooter omitted the Springfield Armory Museum! It's far more intersesting than basketball, motorcycles and a bunch of guys in makeup. :D

Because that was always part of the match tours :cheers:

We are staying in Sprinfield, but we will fly into Boston. It will be a group of 7 of us so we will have a huge van to drive around and visit the area for a couple of days prior to the competition.

Next April we will be hosting the first IDPA Costa Rican Match so everyone is invited. I bet you would love a week long vacation in Costa Rica, visit some beaches, shoot a nice match, etc...

Some day when I visit my sister in-law in Costa Rica I will try to look you up for some type of match :-)

Thank you very much for all the advice. I will make sure I keep everything in mind. I have never been to MA, what other places should I visit? I am arriving 2 days before the competition. What should visit in Boston?

Thank you in advance.

Springfield Armory museum! A great museum for gun lovers. 15 minutes from the S&W range.

http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

The Main Collection Room

View the complete on-line collections description (over 9,000 mostly prototype and production Springfield Armory weapons and associated objects), the largest collection of historic American military shoulder arms in the world. Only the British collection comprising the combined Royal Armouries and the National Firearms Centre [formerly the Pattern Room] is larger.

Some day when I visit my sister in-law in Costa Rica I will try to look you up for some type of match :-)

Sure, no problem... just send me an email and we will set something up. RodCarvajal at gmaildotcom

• 1 month later...

I do have a question about traveling. I am heading up for nationals next week and you make a reference to not keeping your ammo with your firearm. How are you supposed to get your match rounds up there if you cannot keep them in the same locked case as your firearm? I am sure that the officials must know you are coming in to town for the match. I know I had to print a copy of the NRA match form to carry with me.