Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for Commercial Loaders

As a commercial loader, I just got a request to load a boatload of 38 S&W. Not SPL. but the 38 Short and Weak. :blink:

Being a small operation, I use a 1050 for heavy lifting and a pair of 650's for light loading chores. :wub:

Nothing doing, according to Dillon. Any ideas out there? I simply don't have the time to fight a half-fast kit cobbled together. :sick:

I can live with only loading new brass, like I have ever seen once-fired 38 S&W brass. :roflol:

Depending greatly on what brand of brass you are using, on the 650 you can sometimes get away with the "A" shellplate, purple casefeed adapter for 40 S&W, #2 station one locator, #2 locator buttons, and the "F" powder funnel.

There simply is not enough demand for 38 S&W to justify production for the 650 and 1050 machines. Our biggest customer is the US Army, which uses .38 S&W blanks to power T&P rounds in 40mm.

You might need to tweak the cutouts in the shellplate to fit your brass-your milage may vary :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I load commercially as well. For oddball jobs like this I keep a Lee Classic Turret press on the bench. I load weird stuff like 256 Win Mag and oddball custom loads that I normally don't keep in catalog. A set of Lee shellholders is about $12 and I usually know someone that can borrow me the dies to crank out a couple hundred rounds.