Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbide G-Rx Die

I got an email from Redding today. Apparently, my pleas have been heard and they are going to produce a carbide version of the G-Rx push-thru die.

I would still lubricate the cases, especially with something easy and spray-on, but at least grit won't imbed in the die and scratch up every piece that goes through it.

:D

That is great i am sick of having to polish the inside of mine every 1000 rounds any word on when they will be ready for sale?

I was unaware that these could or had to be polished. What are you using to polish the inside of your G-Rx?

I polish mine way more often than every 1000....

I use one of the felt bobs on a Dremel and some jeweler's rouge.

Mine will start scratching within a 100 or so rounds. I am resizing primarily once-fired Federal Hydra-Shok brass, so the nickel cases will show those scratches faster than regular brass.

The e-mail said that they would be a 2010 cataloged item, so I would assume that they'll be available sometime after the SHOT Show.

I guess I have been lucky because I have resized something 8,000 cases and I still haven't had to polish mine; but then again I would imagine that my resizing "ritual" is a little bit different than most other users. I normally run all my cleaned cases through a Lee U decapping die prior to running them through the G-Rx.

I know this is twice the work but, in the past, I have had cases that fail to chamber even after running them through the "U" die alone. I also tried using the G-Rx die by itself but I really had to crank on the press' handle to run some cases through. With my method , once I put the cases through the G-Rx, I am only resizing the bottom 2cm of the cases.

Once Redding comes out with their carbide coated die I may switch to it in hopes that the carbide will make running the cases through it easier.

On a separate note, when I was looking to purchase my current G-Rx, it was backordered for a few months (in most if not all e-stores). I hope that Redding produces enough of their new die version so that it is readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

If Redding comes out with the Carbide G-Rx die you have the same problem except I bet the Redding G-Rx Carbide die is going to cost a lot more than the Lee Carbide die. With the normal version case lube is advised which gums up the die-at least that's what is the complaint about the original G-Rx die. Pick your poison I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - Just talked to Redding. They are shipping the first batch of Carbide G-Rx dies in about three weeks. The dies are currently being heat-treated. They mentioned Graf & Sons, so I would assume that they would be one of the first ones to get them.

MSRP is $99.99.

Edited by Braxton1

I just got a reply from Patrick Ryan from Redding. I had asked about getting the new (NO PINCHY FINGERS) stem. This is what he said

Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment. The part number for the new “E-Z FEED” pushrod assembly is #96050 and it lists for $24.00. You can purchase one at discounted pricing from any Redding dealer. We’ll start shipping them in 4-6 weeks.

Regards,

Patrick T. Ryan

Redding Reloading Equipment

1089 Starr Road

Cortland, NY 13045

607-753-3331

FAX 607-756-8445

I also saw that Midway is listing the new GRX at $69.99 preorder.

Scott

• 2 months later...

Didn't see this thread before, but I'm glad I opted for the Carbide version. I just ordered last night from Midsouth Shooter's Supply. Also got my first single stage press coming with it. (Regular press is a SDB)

• 2 weeks later...

Loaded up my first batch of match ammo, first processing the brass with the GRx die. I'm very happy I got it. The chambers on two of my guns are tight enough that I had to chamber check every round to avoid having a death jam in a match. Not any more! This die is sweet, and the spring loaded push rod is very cool as well. I also got the Lee Reloader "C" press to go with it. It's a pretty cheap press (~$25), but it is working fine so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how everyone completely ignored the guy asking why you don't just use an inexpensive Lee FCD. I will . . .

Some people feel better when they spend lots of money for something. I've been using my Lee FCD for fixing Glocked brass for about two years now, who knows how many I have shoved through it. Never cleaned or polished it once. Still works perfectly.

And that was my video on youtube. Yep, that's right, I'm an official "internet expert" B)