Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Rods

Heavy Barrel

I've used bore Tech ever since I purchase my first center fire rifle (25-06). About 10 years go.

Though I have always had a dark cloud hang over me with their cleaning rods and this gun in particular.

But for some reason, all three cleaning rods I have had to purchase over the span. The enamel finish has flaked off either near the brass bushing at the end, or approx. 5-6" from the handle.

I have their cleaning rods for my 22-250, and my .30 cals. and they have never flaked.

I don't know if I'm being to aggressive, or what exactly.

Anyone else experience this with their products?

I'm going to ask a couple stupid questions, but it's something I have not seen mentioned. Back in the stone age, we all had three piece aluminum cleaning rods. These are still sold but the one piece rods seem to be gaining ground.

Are one piece rods really that much better?

The rods appear to come in four basic flavors: carbon fiber, coated, brass, and stainless. I'm going to assume that the carbon fiber is really superior or they wouldn't sell at all at that price. Of the remaining choices, which is better and why?

• 1 month later...

I too, remember the Stone Age of the 3-piece rod.

No three-piece rod will be as strong or as true as a one-piece rod.

3-piece rods have sharp edges where the shoulders of the rod sections mate.

These sharp edges can't be good for the inside of your barrel.

A Bore guide is essential to protect your rifling and guide the jag.

Dewey or Tipton rods are excellent.

I prefer carbon rods for strength and there is no coating to ever wear off.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Bore-Tech exclusively for all my guns

22 cal / 25 cal / 50 cal

Awesome equipment! Never had any issues with mine.

I've also had positive experience with there customer service when I ordered wrong length rod.

No experience with BoreTech rods but their website claims "The steel core coated with a proprietary, uniform covering that is extremely chemically resistant and durable...". So given that claim and by the general quality of their website, I would contact them and get their take on the flaking.

Like others have said, for my precision rifle given the investment, the only rods that touch my barrel are Tipton's carbon fiber rods (with a Lucas bore guide). I don't want any material in that barrel that could ever think about scratching/maring it. I'm not saying that would happen with BoreTech but I do know that most of the hardcore precision rifle competitors are pretty picky about what goes through their barrels, e.g., brass brushes being too abrasive. It's just a cost/benefit question: I have $800 in my current Krieger/GAP cut .260 Rem barrel; having 2 Tiptons + Lucas boreguide will last through a few of these.