Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Slugs

STIGUY

Practicing today with Slugs with my Benelli M2 and I was wondering how far will I be expected to hit with slugs in a match. I have installed a fiber optic front bead on the top og the rib (one that Tom Knapp) sells as EasY-Hit. Question...do I absolutely have to get like 10/22 sights milled into the rib to be competitive and hit the targets. I mean if I know where to hold on say a 60 yard target then..... Just wondering

I was told yes about the sights and No about the sights. I went with the one that the Big Brown Dog sugested and I am happy. The Blue Ridge event had a slug target just past 100 yards :mellow: That made a miss count double

The 10-22 sight has some sharp edges to it that may bite when you do a reload

The last local match I went to had IPSC targets at 100yds, and full size poppers at 80yds. You don't "have" to have a particular sight, but having a good one that you can get a good read on is important. It is also important to throw slugs down range in practice, and KNOW where they will hit. You can simply shoot at a big piece of cardboard with a white paper pie plate for a target. Misses are easy to pin down, and you can adjust your sights, or adjust your hold as necessary. It is an expensive practice day to do with slugs, but once you do it, and make you a little card to put in your bag, you won't be kicking yourself at the next match. When you do shoot long range paper in a match, you can't just look and see if you hit. The targets are too far away. That is where the practice comes in. You will know you got your hits. A good sight and practice will go a long way to help your game. Also remember to be consistant with your ammo. If you buy some KO slugs and zero your SG, and then decide to upgrade to a low recoil slug before the big match, your zero's will probably change, and you will need a new info card in your bag. Which ever way you go, consistancy will help you out. By the way, what are ya'll doing up so late?

I put Williams firesights on my Benelli's. They are good for distant shots, not saying I am. I started to go the dovetail route, but went with the clamp on sights. I did locktite the bases in place. I do hate shooting off a bench with slugs to zero them. I am not as precise with them as I would like to be, just not practicing with slugs much.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I roll with the XS Express sight milled into the rib. No edges like a 10/22 sight and a lot more durable. It just has to be put in correctly as it cannot be adjusted.

Nowadays, I would expect 100 yard + slug shots at most of the major 3 gun matches, escpecially Blue Ridge and Rocky Mtn 3 Gun. I, for one, cannot consistenly shoot slugs, past 50 yards without some sort of rear sight. A ghost ring is best for long range slugs but sucks for all the birdshot targets.