Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measuring and changing Barrel Links

Mo Zee

I had my gun built by a reputable smith just not good with the paperwork and cant advise on what barrel link he used in the gun. I measured the slide stop and it comes in about .1995" which to my guess would be a straight .200" replacement. Is that correct?

The barrel Links on the other hand are quite tough to measure. I tried measuring it, but cant come out with the correct size. It comes in at about .201 all the way to .205. very inconsistent. Is there anyway to measure this correctly? Where exactly should I be measuring? All the way in or on the edge of the barrel link hole?

BTW - The link does not have any numbers so it cant be identified that way.

Hello: If you break a link at a match you better find out why. Thanks, Eric

I have had about 10 000 jam free rounds in the gun and dont expect any problems. I would however just like to keep some drop in spares in my bag in case of wear and tear breakages. Are you saying that the barrel links do not break often. Should I even worry about it?

Don't bother measuring the slide stop pin hole. All new links are pretty much made with the same size holes.

What you are looking for is the center to center distance between the two holes.

Thanks - will keep this in mind.

Barrel links are not a wear and tear item. If the barrel was fitted correctly when the gun was built then you should never have to replace it ( unless you replace the barrel).

Thanks for this. One less thing to worry about.