Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

min distance for quality practice

Corey

After some reading, im thinking about getting into some airsoft shooting to compliment my dryfiring drills this winter. My problem is i live in an older house with small rooms and SMALL one car garage. I have 3 br and spare den so i think i could set up some airsoft training in one of them but im not sure if they are big enough for "quality" practice.

My question is this: if i dont have a nice 20car garage, how small of a space could i get by with and still make good useof my time and money?? How big are your "small" airsoft setups? Im not looking for whole course setups, maybe just a fwe paper targets and a popper or two.

thans!

-C

With a 4" round plate, it will need to be 9' from you to matches the uspsa (23 feet) look of a round plate. A 9 1/2" popper needs to be at 7 feet, 6 feet for a Colt that is 4"wide.

As far as the paper on an 8x11 metric, I set one up in the garage and was suprised at the perspective, here are some pictures

This is a metric target at 15 feet (from eyeline), with a 8x11 metric set to match it.

post-14235-1262455778_thumb.jpg

It only had to be put 4 feet in front of me to look the same. I did not realize it could be that close. This is good for me because I am focusing on index and close range targets. So as a small space you could really get good steel style training and close range paper work done.

post-14235-1262455822_thumb.jpg

The airsoft is only about 1 1/2 feet from the target but looks like 5 yards.

post-14235-1262455795_thumb.jpg

I have sent a PM with a link to a video of the steel perspectives

absolutely perfect info!!! thank you so much. didnt realize i could have them so close and woud have doubted without that video perspective. I think i know what i may be saving for next....

One thing to be aware of is that your POI and POA could be off vertically.

If you adjust your sights to merge POI and POA at a really close range, you will be way off the further out your target goes. This isn't that big a deal with full sized targets at standard distances with a zero done at 15 yds plus, but is very much magnified with a 1/3 scale or even a 1/2 scale target with a close zero.

You could adjust the sights (if they are adjustable) for each range you practice at, or stay at one fixed zero, preferably one at longer distance that will minimize the difference, and accept that, given the same sight picture, the pellet hit will be higher or lower at different distances. I do the latter, but because of the offset/parallax problem, I don't use really small targets (A 1/3 scale target, the smallest I use, has an A zone of roughly 2"x4"; a 1/6 scale target is about 1"x2" - an offset of one inch on the POI caused by shooting at a distance different from the zeroing distance will make the shot to fall out of the A zone).

• 2 years later...

I looked at the target downloads, and if I understand the BAM post correctly, you should only be 4 feet away from the target to simulate 15 meters to target on the range? Is that correct? Do you use the same 4 feet for the 20M, 30M, amd 50M targets, all from only 4 feet away? What about the targets.pdf and target with hard cover.pdf,what distance should you shoot at for them?

Thanks for the help.

Stephen

Could you explain a little better about what targets are for both simulated distance and actual distance? So is the 15M supposed to be a regular target at 15 meters, but since it is reduced in size you shoot it at 4 feet for the same affect? Is that true for all the targwts, are just certain ones?

Stephen

Edited by stephencraig

• 5 weeks later...

Easiest way for me to remember it this, based on actually comparing the the reduced target size to the real thing:

If the reduced target is half the size of the full size, it will look the same as the full size at half the distance (at 5 yards the reduced target looks like the full sized target at 10 yards).

If the reduced target is one third the size, it will look the same at one third the distance (the reduced target at 10 feet looks the same as the full sized target at 30 feet).