Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Again: bifocal lens - special grinds

armordude

Nice looking gun, the mag well looks like it could hold a cup of coffee in a pinch, that puppy is huge. I think I am going to try the dominant eye prescription for front site focus and let the other, me left eyeball, be focused a bit further out. I haven't shot much in the last fifteen years and the eyes are different at 53 compared to when I was 38. Though I gotta admit I'm better looking now, till I put the glasses back on. Yuk yuk. Right now I am using an old pair of glasses that are not as strong as the current generation and there is a bit less fuzziness.

earl

• 2 weeks later...

armordude,

You might try a pair of glasses with a prescription for your shooing eye lens set to a clear focus on the front sight, and the non-shooting eye lens set to more of a distance focus. Depending on what your prescription is for the distance focus lens, you might have to experiment with that one a bit.

be

I have been in progressive lens for a decade or so and haven't seen a clear front sight for years.

This past fall, I went back to contacts for waterfowl hunting. Both lenses are for distance (I'm nearsighted). I can barely see my cell phone numbers but far objects are crisp.

While we were doing this, I got a lense for my dominant eye for pistol front sight focus. The left lense remains for distance focus. I've been shooting with this near/far set up recently and I believe it's going to work. I've been shooting with both eyes open for the first time (ever). This may be the ticket for me.

The dot in my 3 gun rifle is blurry with this set up. I installed a variable power scope today and that may be the solution for that.

Dave

I took the advice of someone on this site and bought the stick on reading lenses. WOW, fantastic. I shoot right and left eye dominant. I had lasik surgery a few years back and have 20/20 in both eyes now. However at 62 I need reading glasses and haven't really been able to focus on my front sight. Until now. I bought the sitck on reading lenses on line and put one of them on my shooting glasses upper edge of left lens. When I look thru them normally all is clear and cool. Targets and surrounding all great. When I shot and cant my head the bifocal lens is tight there and my front sight is perfect focus. Shooting tomorrow and I will test it out....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm left-dominant, right hand shooter and far-sighted, +1 only for reading really close and small fonts. I use tape on my left eye lens. I'm thinking of applying a prescription +1 lens on my right lens only for a clearer front sight, and leave my left as is w/o any prescription for distance. For those of you who have this setup, don't you feel dizzy switching from front sights to distant objects (i.e. to view/locate targets, or run)? Or does this take some getting used to... if so, perhaps how long? Won't this worsen the condition of the eyes?

• 1 year later...

My normal Rx is progressive bi-focals. Before I started shooting competitively, I knew I had to do something, as there was no way I would be able to see the front sight without constantly tilting my head back. So I had a pair of shooting glasses made. The left lense is a single Rx for distance only, the right lense (dominate eye)is a single RX that is focused about 1.5" beyond the tip of my right index finger when simulating an iso grip - about where a front sight would be. This has worked great for me, and the best thing I could have done.