Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

covering the gas block

olp73

If I want a hand guard that fully or at least partially covers the gas block on an AR15 with rifle length gas system and 18” barrel. Which alternatives do I have? If possible I want an adjustable gas block.

Just get one of the many low profile gas blocks. JP and PRI both make adjustable low profile gas blocks that will fit under the handguard.

There are only a few choices of handguards that will cover a gas block on a rifle length gas system. The Firebird and PRI carbon fiber . And the 13.2 Larue and 13" Troy Extreme cover half of it.

JP has one too.

I'm pretty sure they don't make one longer than 12". It takes a 14" long handguard to cover the gas block on a rifle gas system.

He dang sure used to if he does not now. I have one thats 14".

But you're special. :goof:

Yes....he used to make longer tubes. Is yours the larger diameter tube?

JP has one too.

I'm pretty sure they don't make one longer than 12". It takes a 14" long handguard to cover the gas block on a rifle gas system.

He dang sure used to if he does not now. I have one thats 14".

But you're special. :goof:

Yes....he used to make longer tubes. Is yours the larger diameter tube?

Yep.

If I want a hand guard that fully or at least partially covers the gas block on an AR15 with rifle length gas system and 18” barrel. Which alternatives do I have? If possible I want an adjustable gas block.

For lo profile adjustable gasblocks there is only three that I know of Firebird's, JP's, and PRI's. All three will fit nicely.

As for forearms there is only one that is purpose built to be extended a meaninful distance beyond the gas block and that is Firebird Precision. Yes there are a few forearms that wind up being in the 13 inch range but they don't offer the advantage of having more real estate for your offhand nor more real estate to rest the forearm against props and such.

here's a thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...95222&st=25

You can go one other way which more expensive and troublesome. Buy a JP rifle length handguard and a JP carbine extension. Then you have to have the internal diameter turned on a lathe to accept the extension and then drill and tap it for the mounting screws.

If you use the PRI you'll have to drill a hole to get to the adjustment screw on the block. Use some care when you do. Carbon fiber, once inhaled into the lungs, will never, ever, be removed. Cut it wet to alleviate the dust particluate.

Or just get the Firebird unit and save your health. :cheers:

Thank you for your advices. I am tempted on the PRI because it makes it possible to mount iron sights directly on the hand guard. This is part of the Idea. The rifle has a 12” Vtac with a JP LPGB today. It is possible to mount sights on the Vtac as is, but the rail don’t reach all the way to the end of the tube. With a guard longer than 12” I would get longer distance between the sights and it will, in my opinion, look a lot better.

Carbon would also be nice for winter time: Temperatures can reach -20 Celsius up here! :goof:

Still I can not find the longer than 12” PRI listed anywhere? Any suggestions?

PRI also makes their carbon fiber tube as long as 15 1/2"

Tod,

Is that through PRI or does a retailer somewhere carry that length? I have never seen such a beast, but I sure do want one. :D

Its through PRI(you need to call them to get it). MSTN carries alot of PRI and uses them on their builds. They may have one. They did a build not long ago with a 14" PRI that I saw on their pics page on AR15.com

PRI also makes their carbon fiber tube as long as 15 1/2"

Tod,

Is that through PRI or does a retailer somewhere carry that length? I have never seen such a beast, but I sure do want one. :D

Its through PRI(you need to call them to get it). MSTN carries alot of PRI and uses them on their builds. They may have one. They did a build not long ago with a 14" PRI that I saw on their pics page on AR15.com

could you point me to that pics page on AR15, please? I would really like to see it. tanks!!

I thought the lo pro adjustable gas blocks were too large to fit under a Larue 13.2?

I have a Sabre Midgas 18 in barrel that is somewhat overgassed IMO,

and it has a Larue lo pro gas block but it looks too tight in there for the JP gas block with the clamp screws?

Will the PRI or Firebird fit without rubbing there is some deflection..

I need to dial the gas down...

I thought the lo pro adjustable gas blocks were too large to fit under a Larue 13.2?

and it has a Larue lo pro gas block but it looks too tight in there for the JP gas block with the clamp screws?

I really like my PRI gas block, it is very small, the gas block.

guess I'll just buy the PRI and Dremel to fit...

guess I'll just buy the PRI and Dremel to fit...

AR1.jpg

PRI adjustable gas block under DPMS handguard, middy system. Just showing to show that it fits under no problem.