Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp question

Mike Singer

Mike,

Before the "flaming pig" was introduced Noveske was taking AK47 Krink style brakes and retro fitting them for use on the AR15. One of the origional comm-block versions can be seen in this pic: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1159284/P4230125b.jpg ... From what I'm told, once the supply dried up he went into production of his own version the flaming pig.

As was pointed out earlier, the device wasn't ment for reducing muzzle flip, it was for redirecting the gases and blast away from the shooter on a short barreled rifle.

At half a pound and adding 2.75" to the overall length of the barrel, it has a very narrow application:

icon-noveske-kx3-barrel-length-considerations.jpg

03designgroup | Noveske KX3 and Barrel Length Considerations extwh3.png

The muzzle brake from the Mapgul videos is a Knights Armament Triple Tap. It was effective for it's size, big draw back is the price tag. I found that the Surefire 556k muzzle brake was more effective at reducing muzzle flip:

icon-kac-triple-tap-muzzle-brake.jpg

03designgroup | Knights Armament Company (KAC) Triple Tap Muzzle Brake extwh3.png

Hope this helps

Good to see you here. Thanks for dropping by and adding some good insight.

• 1 month later...

One thing I rarely see mentioned in regards to compensators is noise. It's my understanding that the nature of a compensator results in increased noise. My question is, are there breaks or flash suppressors that actually reduce the noise? Not reduce noise as in a suppressor, so much, but redirect it away from the shooter.

One thing I rarely see mentioned in regards to compensators is noise. It's my understanding that the nature of a compensator results in increased noise. My question is, are there breaks or flash suppressors that actually reduce the noise? Not reduce noise as in a suppressor, so much, but redirect it away from the shooter.

Graham,

Do you want an effective muzzle brake, or something quiet? The two are mutually exclusive.

There are several that work great but like Jim said, personal preference is a big part of it. I've shot the Rolling Thunder, I like it. I've shot the JP, I like it too. I settled on the F2, I like it a little more.