Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Hiking Gun

JimmyZip

I have a single barrel shotgun that has a 24" barrel on it. I am thinking of making the ultimate hiking gun out of it but stripping the stock and dying it black before re-sealing it, then sandblasting the slightly rusting finish, blue it, and put a choke tube to get a tight pattern out of a short barrel. Question I had was that if I had the barrel cut to 16 1/2 inches, would a choke tube work? What about slugs? Idea is to have a beater gun that could reach out to 75 yds too. This would also be light and versatile if it is capable of shooting slugs, and shot.

Any comments and technical suggestions very welcome.

JZ

you are going to spend close to $100 to get it fit/cut for chokes. most any single barrel gun in going to have plenty of meat/ steel to cut threads in .

But I would suggest you try it with out the chokes first.

I would be tempted to make the stock lighter by using a 2" hole saw.

The amount it would get shot = you could control the pattern with the shot by using the "Flight Control" rounds $1.00 each

and reg 7.5 shot and slugs

The coach guns I have try ed that short do not point very good . How about starting at 20" to see how that handles and shoots.

At 16" I think the gun would only work for two leg varmints

Yeah the minimum legal length for shotgun barrels is 18" and an overall length of 26". My suggestion would be to cut 5.5" off the barrel and 4" off the stock and slap a Fiber optic bead on the front. Mount a shell holder on the buttstock along with a sling (or just use a shell holder sling). Dress the end of the barrel and try it before you spend the money on chokes. The idea of spending $100 to choke a $100 gun is kind of odd to me.

Yeah the minimum legal length for shotgun barrels is 18" and an overall length of 26". My suggestion would be to cut 5.5" off the barrel and 4" off the stock and slap a Fiber optic bead on the front. Mount a shell holder on the buttstock along with a sling (or just use a shell holder sling). Dress the end of the barrel and try it before you spend the money on chokes. The idea of spending $100 to choke a $100 gun is kind of odd to me.

More like $100 to choke a free gun.

Okay, thanks for the info guys. I got this as a gift by someone cleaning out their garage, and thought of a cool SG for hiking that could be used for many applications. Kind of the grown up brother to the AR7 survival rifle. The reason for cutting down the barrel isn't for weight, but rather a barrel that is long can suck when moving off the trail, which is alot of the hiking I like to do. Recently though when out hiking I did come across a cougar, and thought something like this might be nice as I already had the gun. The stock is pretty solid, and the gun only has a little rust. Looks like it was shot little to any at all, but also like it sat and gathered dust and some rust from a swamp cooler or something. ( Like maybe it got cold where it could attract moisture.)

JZ