Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

just traded for a Para "gun rights" 1911

Spray_N_Prey

I haven't heard any different yet. But I think you can buy a back up extractor, last I checked they were like $90 for the extractor though.

I traded for a Para yesterday myself, a Pre PXT P16-40. Good luck with your's, they can't all be lemon's.

Edited by Aristotle

Well I took it out today and was very surprised on how well it shot and cycled very nice. I had zero issues so far, but only ran 8 mags through it (it's snowing and cold, for gods sake).

If anybody can back up the claim that the 45 power extractor runs fine, it sure would make me sleep better at night.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a PXT P14-45 since 'o5. I did break the shaft of the PXT at about 12,000 rds. Everyone else broke the hook. That was a Sunday. Emailed Para and George had a new one at my door Tuesday. Since then 15,000 more and no issues. And I clean it at least once a year even if it doesn't need it. I like the PXT.

Paul

I bought a "used" PXT 1640 off of Calguns about a year ago. It came with sand paper grips and a SA magwell for 850.00 dollars. I live in L.A. and thought I got a decent deal. It also came with 3 para tubes. The only change I've to it was to send it to Rob Melhorn, here in the valley, he does alot of Tarn Bulters guns. Changed out the trigger group with the usual tool steel hammer, sear and stuff for a 2 lb trigger. I also added JB weld to the top and bottom of the trigger, to decrease the "slop" on the top and bottom of the trigger, added a Dawson FO .100 front sight, the FO fell out and I replaced a black rod from my garage broom, I dont miss the red FO at all. Rod, also welded a spot on the pin for the rear sight, the typical drifting out of the pin from adjustable sights.

While at the muffler shop, I asked the guy to weld a spot on to the mag release and at home I file and shape it, so that I can use my SV 40 mags with the gun.

End result is a Para gun that uses SV mags and will shoot a 2" group or smaller at 25 yds, with the stock barrel! Load 180 FMJ, 4.6 TG, 1.180 OAL, with a 14lb spring and 17lb Mspring. Gun shoots great!

As far as the extractor, I was worried but I just took it out and looked at where the brass was rubbing and used a file and dressed down the areas. I follow the advise on Brazo's website about tuning extractors.

If it does break, I would just buy another extractor. I really dont see it an issue.

I also have a Para 45 with the PXT extractor, just like the "Gun Rights" model. No trigger work but did add some relief to the secondary angle on the sear and the same JB weld to the trgger. I dress down the extractor hook, also. Guns shoot 2" groups with 230 gr, 4.0 clays, 1.255 OAL.

Sure I except barrel bushing will break and maybe change the barrel in the future but in the meantime, they both great guns. True, there not int the S_I legend but they not that bad either.

I do have a SV gun and I really like the way the steel gun feels when I shoot it.

good luck, if I remember I will add a pic of the gun.

thanks

...If anybody can back up the claim that the 45 power extractor runs fine, it sure would make me sleep better at night.

I had a Para SSP 1911 in 45 with the PXT, and it ran great - never a single extraction issue.