Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fun Function test

38supPat

Here's a fun one to try, not sure it has a purpose but it's a blast.

I was test firing my gun after straightening out the trigger prob. that cropped up and just wanted to function the gun. Not having Hi-Caps up here I had to shoot 10 and reload. So to get a max # of rounds thru in a short period of time to test the gun at speed and heat it up to see what happens I came up with this.

Firing into the backstop (time only test, no score. Remember it's just to check gun and LOHF) Draw and fire 6, reload 6, reload 6, reload 6, reload 6. Total 30 rounds, 4 reloads and a draw. My best time was 10.33.

Give it a try. Post results.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 6:38 am on Aug. 6, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...

Before our club drove all the stupid old members out (the IPSC shooters moved in, took over and now own the gun club, no need to worry about being out-voted on the budget by Trap shooters, et al) I was arguing with a crusty old fart about the stupid (then pending) ten-shot mag law.

He thought "no one needs a hi-cap, it makes it too easy to shoot a lot of shots" and by restricting capacity we'd placate the legislators and gun control weenies.

I bet him I could fire and get hits, 100 rounds in one minute.  I used a single-stack .38 Super Steel/9-pin gun, and set up a five-target El Presidente.  It took 39 seconds, and the gun was so hot I burned my left thumb on one of the last reloads when it touched the slide.  (100 hits, of course)

We also did a rifle match a couple of times in the winter when running through the snow was not a good idea.  We set up one target at 50 yards, and one at 100 yards.  You had to alternate between the targets, one shot each.  60 seconds (we called the match "Mad Minute")for shooting, and we'd score all the hits.  I won the last one we had, with 60 shots and 59 hits in one minute, and I flubbed the second reload or I'd have gotten a few more off.

We stopped because it was just too hard on the barrels, even in winter.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 6:32 am on Aug. 6, 2001)