Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small base die?

saibot

Hello experts! On your advice I purchased the RCBS X-DIE to reload my once fired (mostly LC) 223/556 brass. I just noticed that someone was told to get the small base die which I did not get or use. What's the difference? Will it matter that I didn't use it?

Thanks!

Hello experts! On your advice I purchased the RCBS X-DIE to reload my once fired (mostly LC) 223/556 brass. I just noticed that someone was told to get the small base die which I did not get or use. What's the difference? Will it matter that I didn't use it?

Thanks!

Well, it sizes the brass to the smaller side of the SAMMI spec and they generally go further down on than a regular die. Case in point, when I first started reloading .223, I had a Colt HBAR with a 5.56 chamber and a SBR with a Wylde chamber. Brass that came out of the Colt, would not fit after reloading in the Wylde chambered SBR, but fit/functioned fine back in the Colt. After talking to my reloading mentors about the issue, he suggested using the Redding small base die and sure enough that solved the problem.

Unrelated anecdote, after using Ned Christenson's 5.56 chamber reamer on the Wylde chamber of the SBR I was able to use brass from just about any source after that.

Edited by KellyTTE

Well, it sizes the brass to the smaller side of the SAMMI spec and they generally go further down on than a regular die. Case in point, when I first started reloading .223, I had a Colt HBAR with a 5.56 chamber and a SBR with a Wylde chamber. Brass that came out of the Colt, would not fit after reloading in the Wylde chambered SBR, but fit/functioned fine back in the Colt. After talking to my reloading mentors about the issue, he suggested using the Redding small base die and sure enough that solved the problem.

Unrelated anecdote, after using Ned Christenson's 5.56 chamber reamer on the Wylde chamber of the SBR I was able to use brass from just about any source after that.

Thanks, Kelly! Looks like I ordered the wrong die.

:(

I took some of the cases that I resized and put them in my case gauge and the dropped right in, but when I put them in my RRA it took everything I had to get them to eject. Such a bummer since I just bought the die and I'm sure Midway doesn't take back used gear.

Now I need to figure out if my chrome lined RRA barrel is NATO or Wylde. It isn't obvious from their site.

Thanks again for the great info!

I've been experimenting with this on my single stage press and found some interesting results. I usually leave just a hair between the die and the shell plate to eliminate the possibility of the die canting the shell plate causing it to affect the settings of the other stations. So with the "hair" amount of space both my RCBS full length X-sizer die and my Lee full length Pacesetter die both have the problem of being too large for my chamber. If I go all the way down and actually touch the shell plate the Lee die produces brass that fits in my chamber but still no dice with the RCBS. I did email RCBS' customer service about it and never heard anything back. Strike two for RCBS.

I have a RRA that may be a little tighter, so I'm going to see if these chamber on different upper because I'm curious.

Thanks again all for your assistance!

Just screwing the die down to the shellholder may or may not get the headspace correct. Get a comparator (Hornady and RCBS both make 'em) and measure from the base to the shoulder. Screw the die down until you get 2-4 thousandths of setback in the shoulder (I set mine at 4 for autoloaders). You are not getting any more sizing out of your die by making the press "cam over" at the top of the stroke and I have never needed to screw a 223 die down that far. This will give you quality ammunition that is consistent as can be with no unnecessary strain on your press.

Just to add, if you can't get enough sizing with your RCBS die you may need to have either the shellholder or the die machined down slightly to allow the die to be brought down further over the case.

Edited by technetium-99m

IIRC the X-Die neck sizes only.

Shooting in an auto, I use SB dies. I use SB dies for my .308 bolt gun too.

Hello Friend. I hope the weather is treating you well up there! FYI, the X die I have is a full length sizing die. The theory behind the X die is after you fire and trim once, the X die sizes the brass so you don't have to trim again for several firings. IMO, there is something wrong with that equation. I bought mine when I started reloading and have since become wiser.