Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range/training diary

chefcs5

So I thought since I am now setting good goals and doing more training that maybe keeping better track of it all will help.

So I will post to this as often as I can. Any one with any ideas or hints, tips, tricks. feel free to post them.

I will soon be adding videos I have a hat cam on the way!

I shoot a glock 17 in production. Right now it is pretty much stock other than a paint job I did my self and a new warren/sevigney FO front flat black sight (wich hasnt been installed yet).

Right now I am laid off and its xmas time so my actual range time this month and next will be reduced. I plan on doing 2 days each month about 200 rounds plus a match.

I have recent started Ben Stoegers dry fire training program so I have been hitting that pretty hard so far. I will post up some of the par times I am making after sunday wich will have been my 2nd full week on the program.

If any one has any books or movies and are in the Quad cities iowa or illinois that I can borrow let me know!!

I recently made my C card after starting to get seriuos and set some goals and found I could with 2 more good classifiers even jump to B (almost skipped C but had a couple bad ones mixed in)

I have come to realize classifiers are just another stage and I dont stress them and I have made great strides.

Training I have had:

Ben Stoeger class

Rob Pincus Class

I am and RO and have recently taken over as MD of Milan RIfle Club.

Thats me expect more to come!!!

Chris

Ok so I am getting itchy..lol no more matches till Jan. and then only 1 and its not till the 3rd sunday...HRMMMM

SO I am hunting this weekend so I did 2x the dry fire today. Most was going really well

The first time everything was smooth so I figured I step things up for the second round..

then things fell apart. I realized I need to keep working up slowly not just jump right up..lol

I was totally missing reloads trying to beat the 2nd beep and my draws were sloppy and who knows if Id have hit C or D or what..

SO I stopped and I will finish tonight and go back to normal. I hope I didnt do any damage I dont think I did anything wrong long enough to damage my other training. SO moral here.. move up slowly..lol

Good Luck guys

Chris

SO I am hunting this weekend so I did 2x the dry fire today. Most was going really well

The first time everything was smooth so I figured I step things up for the second round..

then things fell apart. I realized I need to keep working up slowly not just jump right up..lol

I was totally missing reloads trying to beat the 2nd beep and my draws were sloppy and who knows if Id have hit C or D or what..

That’s what happens when you push it. Don’t give up, you are getting there man.

That’s what happens when you push it. Don’t give up, you are getting there man.

+1

After pushing for a while,next thing you know you will be smooth and precise at the pushing pace and then you have to push again. But work up to the pushing pace. Great job!

BK

went back to my normal today but cut just 1 tenth off my usual par time. Everything was smooth. I didnt get the par time every time but I did 80% or so. I really have seen good improvement. Maybe not a ton in time but it almost feels like the reloads now are just flowing i dont have to think about them. Thats what I need. now I can start slowly speeding up maybe each week go down 1 tenth or so. Thanks for the program Ben I gotta say its simple yet effective and it doesnt get boring when you switch it up a bit every day. If any of you reading this are not using it give it a try.

Glad the program is working for you too :cheers: I'm experiencing similar results. Like you said, the program does not get boring and I'm seeing steady improvements.

Great.. love to see other ppl doing it too Ben is a great guy and this really helps..Thanks Ben.

Glad the program is working for you too :cheers: I'm experiencing similar results. Like you said, the program does not get boring and I'm seeing steady improvements.

What is your guys dry fire routine look like?

just click HERE to check it out

Ok so a silly question... I guess i kind ..i dunno here it goes...lol

Do you guys like to listen to a few songs before practice/matchs that get you pumped up?

I do..lol not sure if it helps but it clears my head and then pumps me up..

I wont tell you my play list but its always the same..

Ok so a silly question... I guess i kind ..i dunno here it goes...lol

Do you guys like to listen to a few songs before practice/matchs that get you pumped up?

I do..lol not sure if it helps but it clears my head and then pumps me up..

I wont tell you my play list but its always the same..

lol

I was thinking the same thing! :unsure:

chef,

I meant what YOUR weekly plan looks like. lol. Like what setup you do each night.

Most was going really well. The first time everything was smooth so I figured I step things up for the second round.. then things fell apart. I realized I need to keep working up slowly not just jump right up..lol

SO I stopped and I will finish tonight and go back to normal. I hope I didnt do any damage I dont think I did anything wrong long enough to damage my other training. SO moral here.. move up slowly..lol

The important thing is to do each repetition smoothly and accurately. The mechanics of the draw & reload are crucial that they be done correctly, each and every time. Slow it down if you have to, but your better off watching Tv than doing bad (sloppy) practice.

went back to my normal today but cut just 1 tenth off my usual par time. Everything was smooth. I didnt get the par time every time but I did 80% or so. I really have seen good improvement. Maybe not a ton in time but it almost feels like the reloads now are just flowing i dont have to think about them. Thats what I need. now I can start slowly speeding up maybe each week go down 1 tenth or so.

Dont get too far ahead of yourself. The speed does not matter as much as calling each shot as an Alpha.

.... I recently saw a motivational poster on the wall at a local gym that said "There is no giant step that makes you a winner. It's a lot of little steps." :)

Most was going really well. The first time everything was smooth so I figured I step things up for the second round.. then things fell apart. I realized I need to keep working up slowly not just jump right up..lol

The important thing is to do each repetition smoothly and accurately. The mechanics of the draw & reload are crucial that they be done correctly, each and every time. Slow it down if you have to, but your better off watching Tv than doing bad (sloppy) practice.

went back to my normal today but cut just 1 tenth off my usual par time. Everything was smooth. I didnt get the par time every time but I did 80% or so. I really have seen good improvement. Maybe not a ton in time but it almost feels like the reloads now are just flowing i dont have to think about them. Thats what I need. now I can start slowly speeding up maybe each week go down 1 tenth or so.

Dont get too far ahead of yourself. The speed does not matter as much as calling each shot as an Alpha.

.... I recently saw a motivational poster on the wall at a local gym that said "There is no giant step that makes you a winner. It's a lot of little steps." :)

Chris said it perfectly. I too tried to go to faster than I could see each shot. I started missing reloads, my draws were VERY inconsistent, and I felt to jerky in my movements. Once I slowed down, I was actually going faster than I was before and it felt much better.

Edited by jkatz44

chef,

I meant what YOUR weekly plan looks like. lol. Like what setup you do each night.

O sorry..lol

here is what im doing

Monday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup B

Tuesday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup C

Wednesday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup D

Thursday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup E

Friday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup F

Saturday: 15 Minute Plan

Sunday: 15 Minute Plan

?ya i took his basic example.. im boring that way,..lol

This will change when weather is nicer and I get back to work also I wont do sundays if there is a match but thats about a month away

Edited by chefcs5

chef,

O sorry..lol

here is what im doing

Monday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup B

Tuesday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup C

Wednesday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup D

Thursday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup E

Friday: 15 Minute Plan and Setup F

Saturday: 15 Minute Plan

Sunday: 15 Minute Plan

?ya i took his basic example.. im boring that way,..lol

This will change when weather is nicer and I get back to work also I wont do sundays if there is a match but thats about a month away

My plan will probably look like your expect I will not be able to dry fire on Tuesday since that is when the local matches are. I am almost ready to start his new program. All i need now is a timer! :roflol:

P.S. Do you use dummy rounds like Ben suggested? Also, about how long does each Setup last?

I dont use dummy rounds.. I prefer no rounds live or dummy be arround when I dry fire. I have a wife and kids and my guns stay locked up when not in my hands but id rather not have any confusion when it comes down to is the ammo live or not. So I dont use them. I just got a cheap timer off ebay with a par time and random beep. the setup ones vary. and it depends on how I feel after doing it some I may redo if I feel I didnt do it correctly. Id say I am usually dne in 20-25 mins or so now that I have the way it works down.

I dont use dummy rounds.. I prefer no rounds live or dummy be arround when I dry fire. I have a wife and kids and my guns stay locked up when not in my hands but id rather not have any confusion when it comes down to is the ammo live or not. So I dont use them. I just got a cheap timer off ebay with a par time and random beep. the setup ones vary. and it depends on how I feel after doing it some I may redo if I feel I didnt do it correctly. Id say I am usually dne in 20-25 mins or so now that I have the way it works down.

Do you happen to know what kind of cheap timer you got off of ebay. lol. :unsure:

I use dummy rounds. Setup and gearing up takes about 5 minutes. Basic Program 15-20 minutes. Ancillary Programs 10-15 minutes. 30 to 40 minutes total. Sometime I will just use the basic 15 minute program, so I'm done in 20 minutes or so.

I think consistency is much more important than the length of your practice session. I strive for 5 sessions per week.

Edited by baerburtchell

great diary chef....will stay tuned...on the reloads thing....I still keep mine slow (sort of) and concentrate more on my method....I make sure I am hitting the same motions each time....if I botch a reload, I am going slow enough to stop and look at where the mag caught....have you thought about maybe getting the dawson ICE magwell for your glock? I have one on my 1911 and I love it....not that it's a substitute for good practice, but it really helps me get my grip consistent and let's me visualize a larger target for my mag (when I reload).....sounds like you are a few notches above me in skill and practice....I would love to see some of your targets....

Well cant do the magwell im shooting production. as far as targets I do need to get out and do some live fire and ill get some up. thankfully i have a team mate that lives near me so were gonna run some live fire drills soon.

Well cant do the magwell im shooting production. as far as targets I do need to get out and do some live fire and ill get some up. thankfully i have a team mate that lives near me so were gonna run some live fire drills soon.

ahhh, gotcha on the magwell....if you ever move out of production, and are still on the glock....check the dawson out....it's pretty fantastic (ugly as hell though).....

really curious to see some targets....it'll help me benchmark my work...

can you tell me a bit more about what the "team rudy project" thing is...I keep seeing it everywhere, but am clueless