Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Misfire

Sarge

Shooting 9mm M&P last night and had a misfire. Upon checking the round it had a very very light pin mark on the primer. The mark was on the very outer edge of the primer, actually almost missed the primer completely. I am trying to figure out how this is possible. The only theory I can come up with for such a drastic off center hit is that the primer was coming out of a loose pocket and might have been canted ALOT. Then the primer just got reseated when I squeezed the trigger. Other thoughts? Everything before and after the misfire was a good solid center hit.

Your gun tried to fire "out of battery". Slide wasn't quite all the way forward, barrel wasn't quite all the way up

into lock-up. Usually the results are just what you saw---a light hit that's off center. Sometimes that light hit

actually lights one off, causing blown case heads, possible gun damage, and dirty underwear.

Your gun tried to fire "out of battery". Slide wasn't quite all the way forward, barrel wasn't quite all the way up

into lock-up. Usually the results are just what you saw---a light hit that's off center. Sometimes that light hit

actually lights one off, causing blown case heads, possible gun damage, and dirty underwear.

That would be my guess as well....

Edited by JThompson

Any chance it was a .380 case?
Nope, I checked that first thing. Wow, I did not think an out of battery issue would be that far off center. The striker basically went into the seam between the primer and case. Thanks for the replies. I'll check the case length etc.

Cause? I had tried to run a 13lb spring again and the gun really does not lock up very tight at all. Is this probably the culprit? With the stock spring in it is a good bit harder to push out of battery. It locks up tighter and faster as well. So have I answered my own question? :wacko:

Cause? I had tried to run a 13lb spring again and the gun really does not lock up very tight at all. Is this probably the culprit? With the stock spring in it is a good bit harder to push out of battery. It locks up tighter and faster as well. So have I answered my own question? :wacko:

Bingo!