Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a .223/5.56 on a Budget

Graham Smith

I'm just getting into this so I'm going to need some advice in choosing reloading supplies. Having just spent quite a bit on parts to build an AR, I'm going to have to keep the costs down on ammo for now, but I don't want to buy surplus 5.56 junk either.

I've already got some very good info here on powder choices, but that's going to depend in part on what I can find. Based on comments from others, I'm also fairly sure I want to shoot something a bit heavier than 55's.

I know that this is the stupid question of the day, but are there any relatively inexpensive .223 in the 60-70gr range that I can count on for reasonable accuracy while I'm learning my way around things. I know that I can count on fairly decent quality from Montana Gold, but all they have are 55's. Is there a source of similarly decent bullets but in higher weights?

These are just for training and punching paper and steel at the 100-200yd range near me, so I don't need any power-tips, or varmint grenades, or anything like that. Just plain old jacketed bullets.

I'm just getting into this so I'm going to need some advice in choosing reloading supplies. Having just spent quite a bit on parts to build an AR, I'm going to have to keep the costs down on ammo for now, but I don't want to buy surplus 5.56 junk either.

I've already got some very good info here on powder choices, but that's going to depend in part on what I can find. Based on comments from others, I'm also fairly sure I want to shoot something a bit heavier than 55's.

I know that this is the stupid question of the day, but are there any relatively inexpensive .223 in the 60-70gr range that I can count on for reasonable accuracy while I'm learning my way around things. I know that I can count on fairly decent quality from Montana Gold, but all they have are 55's. Is there a source of similarly decent bullets but in higher weights?

These are just for training and punching paper and steel at the 100-200yd range near me, so I don't need any power-tips, or varmint grenades, or anything like that. Just plain old jacketed bullets.

For 200yd or less save your money,, shoot MG, or REM 55 FMJ. they are cheap and cost less,,, than any Match----- bullet

You will get your money's worth out of Match grade bullets. but you don't need them up close, that being 200yds or less..

I shoot MG 55's with 24.1GR A2230 and am able to get the same ballistic path with 69's and 77's Nosler Competitions over the 24.1GR of A2230

Jim M ammo

Get some Hornady 55 FMJ's, I honestly could not believe the accuracy from them.

Wideners price looks to be $82/1000 as compared to MG's at $76.

BTW, these are down to $75/1000 including shipping when bought in a 6000 round lot. Not too bad.

I think the odd thing about the cheap 55 FMJs.. is that they're rifle Dependant.

They may shoot fine in one barrel, and horrible out of the next. Before buying bulk, try a smaller batch.. you'll know right away in 10 shots at 100 yards. Then try to 200, 300 yards.

My JP 18" shoots them great (Winchester and Hornady 55's behave exactly the same). I bought another upper for Limited.. they're terrible in that one. And I've seen other JP 18s (same config 1/8 midweight), shoot them horribly as well.

As for powder.. 2230 for me... (If I didn't have 16+ more pounds.. I would look at 2460)

For 200yd or less save your money,, shoot MG, or REM 55 FMJ. they are cheap and cost less,,, than any Match----- bullet

You will get your money's worth out of Match grade bullets. but you don't need them up close, that being 200yds or less..

I shoot MG 55's with 24.1GR A2230 and am able to get the same ballistic path with 69's and 77's Nosler Competitions over the 24.1GR of A2230

Jim M ammo

+1 on MG55 gr fmj. $76/1000 delivered - they're always available and I've had great luck with 24 gr of AA2230. longest distance I can usually shoot at is 100 yards so more expensive OTM bullets are pretty much wasted on me. I've also had good results with hornady 55 gr ball, but even in bulk the best price i've seen for them is about $80/1000 + shipping and they're frequently backordered.