Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need info on hard tonneau covers

Got a new to me 2006 Chevy truck and would like to go with a hard tonneau cover. Looking at Undercover or Extang's Solid fold. Anyone own one of these or another brand that you would recommend? Would like to know how weather proof the Extang is. Thanks

I'll not do a solid folding cover again... after using a soft cover for years I "upgraded" to a folding cover from Advanced Cover. Has 4 folding panels. Was great at first... but then the seals at the hinges started to go. The only time I've gotten more water in the bed was with no cover at all. Kinda a pain when hauling big stuff as the panels take up too much bed space (1/4 of the bed). Kinda a pain hauling small stuff to lift the panels to get into the back end. This winter I'm switching back to a soft cover. I've regretted my choice since a few months after buying it.

Oh, when necessary, good old duct tape has solved my leaky hinge problem..... problem with that basic design in general is if the seals leak at all, you have multiple points right over the bed for water to drip in vs leaking in a little around the edges.

Extang may have better seals, I don't know. They make good stuff. They weren't doing that kind of design 5 yrs ago when I got mine.

-rvb

I've got a SNUGTOP on my 03 Ford F150. It works extremely well and doesn't leak,even when going thru the

car wash. Also has an emergency release inside the cover so no one can be locked in. It has one key

lock in the center that works dual locks on both rear corners.

Thanks for the feedback. The Fold a Cover, no leaks after 5 years sounds good. I like the Caddy they have too. The SnugTop with the spoiler would be a nice. Nobody have the Extang Solid Fold?

I must have linked it incorrectly. here is a copy of my post.

(Yes I like it) I currently have an 2009 F150 Crew Cab 6.5' bed

-----

i have the rhino liner and the "Undercover" tonneau cover. I've had no leaks with my cover. It weighs 58 lbs and is removeable rather easily. The front struts unhook and the back is attached with knobbed handles that screw in. It comes with 2 hooks to attach to a wall to store the cover when it's removed. My wife and I can have it on and off in less than 5 minutes. It also has dual locks. I had the ARE hard cover on my last truck. Having the option to easily remove the cover is a big advantage when you need to use the full bed.

-----

Edited by pas44