Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Bullet Collator Lee Bullet Feeder

Real Estate on a 650 die head is too valuable to lose one position to a bullet dropper. With a Lee Bullet Feeder you would spend as much time filling those little tubes as placing the bullet on by hand. So what if the RCBS Bullet Collator is incorporated into the mix? Any thoughts? Anyone think it would work?

Real Estate on a 650 die head is too valuable to lose one position to a bullet dropper. With a Lee Bullet Feeder you would spend as much time filling those little tubes as placing the bullet on by hand. So what if the RCBS Bullet Collator is incorporated into the mix? Any thoughts? Anyone think it would work?

I thought about this too and I cant see why it wouldn't work. If your worried about a powder check die I would just remove it though.

Also, I dont think he is being cheap. $600 seems a bit excessive for a bullet feeder.

Edited by irq23

Oh, yeah, I am not saying he is cheap either.

Sounds to me like he already has a Lee progressive press which is already outfitted with a bullet feeder mechanism.

Now, he just wants to upgrade it with a bullet collator.

M-A systems also makes a bullet collator, FWIW... it is sold, I guess, strictly through Magma Engineering. But it is also six hundred something dollars. :(

Oh, yeah, I am not saying he is cheap either.

Sounds to me like he already has a Lee progressive press which is already outfitted with a bullet feeder mechanism.

Now, he just wants to upgrade it with a bullet collator.

M-A systems also makes a bullet collator, FWIW... it is sold, I guess, strictly through Magma Engineering. But it is also six hundred something dollars. :(

The RCBS one looks very promising. You can get it for $350.

Cheap yes the only one that does what I want is the GSI and that comes in at $700. That is more than I paid for my 650 when I got it. I don't want to give up my powder check or taper crimp die.

I think you could get the Lee + the RCBS to work fine. I saw the RCBS for $349 online somewhere the other day. I think the Lee is like $30.

If you're cheap, you can always do this:

Hey Now ..... that's my setup, I'm not sure if I should take offense to that :unsure:.

I wouldn't say I'm "cheap" more like resourceful, after all who else makes a collator/bulletfeeder that works with Wadcutters :D

-Steve

If you're cheap, you can always do this:

Hey Now ..... that's my setup, I'm not sure if I should take offense to that :unsure:.

I wouldn't say I'm "cheap" more like resourceful, after all who else makes a collator/bulletfeeder that works with Wadcutters :D

-Steve

IMHO, you definitely should not be offended. You have obvious talent and engineering skills. :cheers:

IMHO, you definitely should not be offended. You have obvious talent and engineering skills. :cheers:

I have a Fowler bullet feeder on my 650. (http://www.gaspariusa.com/bullet_feeder.htm) I fill a bunch of plexi tubes from this collating tray that comes with it.Takes me about 15 minutes to get 600 bullets tubed and I never touch them again. The feeder itself, works great and loading with a feeder is a joy.

I liked the look of the Gaspari (ok it was more of the price I liked :) ) and talked to a few people that had them and they are suppose to work great but I emailed Gaspari a few times and never got a reply. I think I read somewhere that the gentlemen who was making them had a stroke or something so that's why a finally just decide to make my own.

Maybe someone else knows if they are still in business,

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it and it works like a charm! To mate the two together, I just took a piece of 1/2" PVC, turned one end to fit the bullet feeder, the other to fit the tube adapter on the collator, milled a slot so I can see bullets. Turned it on and started making ammo!

So let me get this straight.... you are running an RCBS bullet collator, to a Lee Bullet Feeder, on a Dillon 650, just so you don't lose the powder check station???

Could you post pics?

Edited by Chills1994

How is the feeding using the Lee parts? Also, did you ever try it the ways it was supposed to run from RCBS? And if so, how did it compare to the Lee feeding?

If you get a chance a couple pics backed out a little would be nice.

With the RCBS bullet feeder you lose a die and I like to run powder check and taper crimp die. I did run some with the RCBS die and worked fine, no problem with the bullet when it indexes. The Lee holds the bullet up in the mouth of the die, then the case picks it up on the way to seat the bullet with no loss of a die. The collator won't work with cast bullets and makes a mess out of it!

With the RCBS bullet feeder you lose a die and I like to run powder check and taper crimp die. I did run some with the RCBS die and worked fine, no problem with the bullet when it indexes. The Lee holds the bullet up in the mouth of the die, then the case picks it up on the way to seat the bullet with no loss of a die. The collator won't work with cast bullets and makes a mess out of it!

Couple more questions. Do you think the collator would work with black Molly bullets like Billbullets or bear creak? If die space was not a problem would you run the standard RCBS die or your Lee modification?

I tried the Lee a long time ago, it worked sort of. The GSI feeder is in a whole other category in a different universe though and you can keep the powder check. I didn’t like the GSI collator though so I built one like the MA systems unit until I played with a KISS collator. If you have some tools and a little talent with them you can copy the KISS for about $70.