Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFP vs RFP scopes

00bullitt

Anybody else wonder why FFP costs so much more than SFP?

Another big reason is the amount of work that has to go into the reticle to make sure it subtends the correct amount at any given magnification. This work not only has to be mathematically correct but then has to be transferred when the reticle is ground on the glass. Any small screw up in this process is catastrophic in the development/production process.

On SFP scopes you only have to get the subtensions right at one given power.

There are some less expensive FFP like the Falcon Menace and Super Snipers...

The Falcon Menace 4-14x seems to be getting some good mention on the net, but their web site is down and no one in the US seems to be selling them. And I have a hard time equating that much scope with a $450 price.

Then there is the SWFA SS 3-9x FFP which is also getting mentioned quite a bit. A price of $600 seems more in line with other 3-9x mid-range scopes but still a far cry from the $1000++ scopes I see on the top of most lists.

Robert Snyder sells falcon scopes

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-...p?idCategory=20

Switched to a FFP mil/mil falcon scope this past spring on my steel shooting rig. Has been a great scope that gets ALOT of use, dialing up and down the 1000 yard range. Much nicer than the mismatched mildot with moa knobs I had been running previously. It has been a suprisingly good scope, excellent reticle, tracks perfect, just not a lowlight performer.

Edited by rc2125