Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rubbing alcohol and Moly bullets

Z32MadMan

Is there any issue with cleaning loaded moly ammo with rubbing alcohol? My resizing die is covering the loaded brass with a film of black greasy gunky. It comes off super easily with rubbing alcohol but I'm worried about the moly coating on the lead. Anyone have some experience here?

Thanks!

Is there any issue with cleaning loaded moly ammo with rubbing alcohol? My resizing die is covering the loaded brass with a film of black greasy gunky. It comes off super easily with rubbing alcohol but I'm worried about the moly coating on the lead. Anyone have some experience here?

Thanks!

Normal process would be to clean the brass, then run it through the loading process. Resizing being the first

die in the series, WHERE is the "black greasy gunk" coming from? The brass should be squeaky clean, or

maybe have a little spritz of One Shot or similar on it. Gunk, especially greasy gritty gunk, is death for

resizing dies. Works just like grinding compound, scratches up the cases and wears out the die. Clean

the die?

I agree with Chris.

If you find that some of your rounds are sticking in the resizing die and causing you to spend a little extra effort on the handle then try this process: find yourself a cardboard 24-pack holder, lay your brass out flat in the bottom of it, hold a pressurized can of wd40 about 2 feet above the brass and hit it with a dusting of the lubricant (not wet!), and then load the rounds. There is really no reason why your brass should be slimy or dirty. That is usually an indication of having way too much lube.

The dies in my press haven't been cleaned in....hmmmmm... I can't remember and they are right on.

Edited by Sterling White

It sounds like you're using way too much "One Shot". I like using it and I use carbide dies. My LNL AP seems to run smoother when the cases are lubed. I also spray my cast bullets before sizing in Lee push through sizers. One can lasted for 20,000 cases and bullets so, as you can see, I'm not using much.

WyoBob

On me SDB's proprietary dies, there is a little step above the carbide inserts, where the open area inside the die widens. Even with a slight coat of lube on brilliantly shined brass, if enough cases are sized/bullets seated and crimped, there is a slow accumulation of black gunk right on top of the insert. It builds up to the point where it will streak the case. It needs to be scraped out once in a while.

I don't know the internal geometry of other dies, but there might be a similar process going on. Bottom line - clean your dies regularly.

On me SDB's proprietary dies, there is a little step above the carbide inserts, where the open area inside the die widens. Even with a slight coat of lube on brilliantly shined brass, if enough cases are sized/bullets seated and crimped, there is a slow accumulation of black gunk right on top of the insert. It builds up to the point where it will streak the case. It needs to be scraped out once in a while.

I don't know the internal geometry of other dies, but there might be a similar process going on. Bottom line - clean your dies regularly.

That is exactly what is happening.