Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Millett sights; what to do?

I am in the process of converting my Model 28 to 45ACP and decided to order a set of Millett sights for it, well they came in the mail today and the front screw hole has not been drilled. The question is, should I send it back and hope they have a good one in stock or should I try to drill the sight hole? Does anyone know how hard the metal is on the Millett tang? I have a drill press with cross slide and am not worried about drilling it in the correct location.

The hole locations on the older ones with a square front end varied among the different models. By leaving the hole out, they only had

to inventory one part to cover them all. The newer ones with a round front end are all the same.

They used to sell the square-front Milletts pre-drilled for the most common configuration, but there were quite a few old S&Ws out there with non-standard placement of that front screw, so Millett finally went to the non-drilled "gunsmith" variety only and discontinued the original model.

I've installed several of these. Drilling them is not a problem, I've always just marked the location of the hole and used a hand drill to drill the hole, then opened out the top of the hole with a bigger bit to countersink the screwhead. The steel is fairly mild, you won't have trouble drilling it. Make sure to drill the hole just a little bit further forward than you think "looks right"--this will give the body of the sight enough clearance to move through its full range of elevation without binding on the frame.

Thanks all for your replies. I finally read the instructions that came with the sight using your advice from I measured twice and drilled once, the fit is perfect. I am now trying to decide if I should purchase another set and fit them to my 625 with the new style mounting, hmmm.

Thanks all for your replies. I finally read the instructions that came with the sight using your advice from I measured twice and drilled once, the fit is perfect. I am now trying to decide if I should purchase another set and fit them to my 625 with the new style mounting, hmmm.

Hey 357, Is this a better sight than on my 25-2? and if so order 2 if you do :ph34r:

Hey 357, Is this a better sight than on my 25-2? and if so order 2 if you do :ph34r:

The sight is similar to the Weigand blade on your 625 however the fit is tighter and perhaps tougher, the only ones I have been able to find are their white Outline, I will probably paint mine matte black. I will check this PM and see how many they have left.