Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversized charging handle

buzzworm

Now that I've had a little time to practice with a scope on my AR, I can see now that a different charging handle is in order. I looked at the Badger Tac Latch and that looks too large. And I'm inquiring about the one in the video although it also looks a bit large.

But other than that, how well does the smaller Badger latch work?

For that matter, I think I'd really prefer an ambidextrous latch. I believe that Badger has one as well. Then there is the rather expensive ACLM.

Suggestions?

If you are looking for a new charging handle, you owe it to yourself to try out the new BCM Gunfighter CH. Two latches to choose from, the Mod3 (large), and Mod4 (medium), both are larger than stock and greatly improve the ease of use. Designed to take stress off the roll pin they should last much longer than a standard CH with an add on latch.

Here's a link.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGH...h%20mod%204.htm

While I haven't used mine that much yet, it has made it much easier to rack the bolt one handed, and adds some piece of mind as far as it's durability. Its being half the price of the Pri Gasbuster and cheaper than a standard CH with an add on tac latch makes it that much better.

Hope this helps.

I'm using the BCM/VLTOR Gunfighters too. Best charging handle I've ever used.

I'm using the BCM/VLTOR Gunfighters too. Best charging handle I've ever used.

The Mod 3 (large) or Mod 4 (medium)? The Mod 4 is looking more interesting all the time.

On my Limited and Tac Irons 3gun rifle I have the Mod 3, On my Tactical and Tac Optics rifle I have the Mod 4.

Another thing to bear in mind is slinging the rifle, particularly with the trend in true tactical matches, where you actually do have to sling the rifle. The larger the latch, the more it digs into whatever part of your body the rifle is slung against. For me, that's right between my boobies. Not very comfortable. I use the BO Tac-Latch, the larger style with the "hollowed square" profile. I have tried their Gen II version, which is substantially smaller, but profiled in such a way to give you maximum purchase. I would go with something like this, a well designed middle-ground, not just the biggest, baddest thing you can find.

+1 on the BCM Gunfighter! and less than $50

chris benson

Each rifle I currently have I use the Badger Tac Latch. It works great, but like said above, is painfull when you have the rifle slung. I would like to try one of the BCM charging handle.

I got one and it's a mixed review. The smaller size makes it easier to carry but not quite as handy as the Tac Latch. Also, the serrations are tougher on the hand.

Maybe I won't get one then because I don't sling the gun very often and would rather have the larger latch.

I'm a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 convert as of 01/02/2010 and have them installed on four of my rifles/carbines. The issues that I was having with the PRI Big Latch were broken charging handle latch roll pins. They would begin to either walk out and get damaged or shear off altogether through repeated use. The BCMs are holding up just fine so far.

put BCM Mod 4's on mine, so far have held up very well and don't gouge my back like my tac-latch's used to (I'm used to slinging the rifle behind me when pasting or moving about on the range during practice).

-jared