Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ten-ring

fastarget

I am interested in a custom and was told ten-ring builds good comp guns....would like a single stack for idpa.

Anyone owns a gun built by these folks , and what is your impression. thank you.

Why don't you take this one for a test ride. The price is right. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1088492

I think he does more bullseye guns than anything else, but he seems to do a little bit of everything. For example, his S&W M41 barrel reline to ultra-match specs is considered to be as good as it gets by many. I've never heard anything but praise for his work, regardless of what type work. With that said there are a number of other smiths out there that do lots of IDPA/USPSA guns of the highest quality so you're not really limited to just one or two guys. R,

I edited your topic title to include the "subject".

In the future, please put the appropriate info in the title, per the forum guidelines:

Thread Titles

When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title and Description. For example: Use –

"Failure To Extract" (Title)

"In .40 cal Single Stack" (Description)

Instead of –

"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

- Mod Squad

Thank you all for your help, I will test drive this 10 ring creation. Deal pending on it.

Any impressions from the pics? what do I inspect when it gets here? thank you again.

It will be a great ESP gun, but you will have to put on a standard or tactical extended magazine release. The oversize button currently on it in the photo is not legal in IDPA. It's an easy fix.

As far as inspection... put it through the safety checks found here >> http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml and range test is for reliability with quality factory ammo. Remember 9mm 1911s can be finicky where ammo and magazine brands are concerned.

Steve,

Thank you so very much from the very beginning, thanks for the lead at first, and now for the info.........

I will do these checks as soon as I receive it..........I see the mag release, no problem, I will order one from brown or someone.

As far as mags, I am planning on the new wilson etm.

I am interested to see if the etm 10 rounders do in this gun like in my friends, he has a hard time dropping the slide from slide-lock when they are fully loaded, after that it is like silk, and they lock the slide every time.

Steve,

Thank you so very much from the very beginning, thanks for the lead at first, and now for the info.........

I will do these checks as soon as I receive it..........I see the mag release, no problem, I will order one from brown or someone.

As far as mags, I am planning on the new wilson etm.

I am interested to see if the etm 10 rounders do in this gun like in my friends, he has a hard time dropping the slide from slide-lock when they are fully loaded, after that it is like silk, and they lock the slide every time.

Glad to help. A word of warning about magazine releases. None of them have milspec internals. They are all different and may not be interchangable. Regardless of who you order from, order the key and possibly spring too. Most don't come with the internals. The Ed Brown does not. If you go with the IDPA legal extended tactical, it may need some minor fitting. Basically, when fully depressed the curvature of the mag release should match the curvature of the inside of the mag well on the button side. A small round file will fix that right up. If too much extends into the mag well, you can lock the magazine in place and it won't drop free.

There is one more safety check. Lock the slide back with no magazine in the gun. While holding the trigger firmly to the rear, drop the slide hard. The hammer should not follow. If it does, it may be something as simple as not enough tension on the left leaf of the sear spring or too light a mainspring. Worse would be not enough, worn, or improperly cut hammer/sear contact surfaces. The latter is a serious problem.

I had Alex work over a Springfield GI. He refit the barrel, put in a new barrel bushing, added adjustable sights and a long trigger. He set it up with a real smooth 4 lb trigger. It's a sweet shooting .45. He also worked over a Springer Micro Compact so that it actually works every time. He has worked on a couple of other guns for me as well. Personally I like his work.

Art.

great, will do...........I am curious about the light trigger, I have read that real light triggers dont stay consistent but lots of open and limited shooters have fantastic light triggers that last and last. It will be neat to see how this gun shoots and how accurate it is.

There is one more safety check. Lock the slide back with no magazine in the gun. While holding the trigger firmly to the rear, drop the slide hard. The hammer should not follow. If it does, it may be something as simple as not enough tension on the left leaf of the sear spring or too light a mainspring. Worse would be not enough, worn, or improperly cut hammer/sear contact surfaces. The latter is a serious problem.

I'm not so sure about this test either. I was told by a couple of local smiths that this is a bad thing to do and not a good test for a competition gun. I know my Fat Free would not pass this test, but ran like you would not believe. I think Benny knows how to do a trigger also.

I'm not so sure about this test either. I was told by a couple of local smiths that this is a bad thing to do and not a good test for a competition gun. I know my Fat Free would not pass this test, but ran like you would not believe. I think Benny knows how to do a trigger also.

It is an absolute must do after any trigger job. It's the last step in the safety checks after loading just a few rounds at a time.

It will not hurt the gun, as long as you control the trigger bounce. You do that by firmly holding the trigger to the rear when dropping the slide.

It's the guys that routinely let the slide drop on an empty chamber when clearing the gun that ruin their trigger job. The trigger bounces up against the sear and puts wear on the hammer sear contact surface.

No offense to you or the pistol which I'm sure is excellent. It's the advice I'd give anyone buying a second hand piece.

for testing I see how this could be done with the finger in the way, and not allow the hammer to really follow, cushion it a bit,,,,,,,,,,I see where it may prevent the unsafe doubling or even the baby face machine gun effect....... :D

Full auto would be exciting enough with a 9mm. I shoot 45s and I certainly wouldn't want to try to keep all the rounds within the range if one went full auto.

By the way, in the thread I posted HSMITH is the authority. I also have printed instructions from Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide for hammer follow safety checks.

Edited by Steve J

I have saved the C&S info in my favorites. Steep learing curve but getting there. looking forward to having fun with it, and I will look for the legal tactical mag release..........this is going to be great. Going to go read the thread...

Edited by fastarget