Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Revolver

Lentz

I have a 646 chambered in .40 cal with a 4 inch barrel i wanted to put a 6 inch barrel on it. If get a factory 686 barrel on it and chamber it to .40 cal, i know it would be legal for USPSA but would it be legal for IPSC? I would like to have a gun for the next world shoot if i can afford to go.

IPSC says

replacement barrels, provided the barrel length, weight and profile are the same as the OFM standard.

The 646 was only made with a 4inch barrel but the 6 inch barrel that i want would be a standard S&W barrel just chambered in a different cal. :wacko:

IPSC says

replacement barrels, provided the barrel length, weight and profile are the same as the OFM standard.

The 646 was only made with a 4inch barrel but the 6 inch barrel that i want would be a standard S&W barrel just chambered in a different cal. :wacko:

If IPSC rules work the same as say Production rules its pretty cut and dried. If SW didnt make a 6" 646 then you cant shoot one. How would you make a 686 barrel work anyway? Ream and re-rifle it to .401?

I have a 646 chambered in .40 cal with a 4 inch barrel i wanted to put a 6 inch barrel on it. If get a factory 686 barrel on it and chamber it to .40 cal, i know it would be legal for USPSA but would it be legal for IPSC? I would like to have a gun for the next world shoot if i can afford to go.

IPSC says

Josh, go the the global village on ipsc.org and post there. you should get the right answer pretty fast.

I think the 6 incher would be illegal

I think Cliff is correct. We liberalized the USPSA Revolver equipment rules to accommodate exactly that sort of modification, because there is clearly no unfair competitive advantage being gained by installing a 6" barrel on a 646 and shooting it against 625s and 25-2s, etc. IPSC is not quite as enlightened on this issue.

Maybe you can win a spot on the U.S. Revolver Team and have USPSA cover some of your expenses, like they do for other divisions--since they even pay for special teams for women and juniors to go to the world shoot in some other divisions, I'm sure they will be covering expenses for a Revolver team to go this time. (Yeah, right!)

Edited by Carmoney

Thanks guys for all the help i will post that on the ipsc village, This USPSA-IPSC is still new to me yet.And if it is illegal i think im gonna pick up a 6 1/2 610 i think that will be legal.

I have a better chance at getting eatin by a shark on dry land before USPSA has a U.S. Revolver team

I really cant thank you guys enough for the help

Josh

I think Cliff is correct. We liberalized the USPSA Revolver equipment rules to accommodate exactly that sort of modification, because there is clearly no unfair competitive advantage being gained by installing a 6" barrel on a 646 and shooting it against 625s and 25-2s, etc. IPSC is not quite as enlightened on this issue.

Maybe you can win a spot on the U.S. Revolver Team and have USPSA cover some of your expenses, like they do for other divisions--since they even pay for special teams for women and juniors to go to the world shoot in some other divisions, I'm sure they will be covering expenses for a Revolver team to go this time. (Yeah, right!)

Putting a 610 barrell would be the technical answer, but ,as everyone told you, it is not IPSC legal to change barrel lenght.

But why do you want to do it?

I'm shooting a 646 in IPSC since 2005, 208RN Rex32 Fed SP, 173PF; sure it is not a .22 but nothing impossible to handle; accuracy at 50meters is very good.

Putting a 610 barrell would be the technical answer, but ,as everyone told you, it is not IPSC legal to change barrel lenght.

But why do you want to do it?

I'm shooting a 646 in IPSC since 2005, 208RN Rex32 Fed SP, 173PF; sure it is not a .22 but nothing impossible to handle; accuracy at 50meters is very good.

I don't believe that a 610 bbl would fit. The 610 is a N frame where as the 646 is a L frame.

I posted my question on Ipsc village and you guys where right it is not legal. So i thinks i am going to get a custom 6 inch barrel on my 646 for Uspsa and i am going to get a 610 for Ipsc.

Daniele, I shoot a 171 pf in my 646, the reason i want to but a longer barrel on it is to be more competitve and plus it would be more accurate

Josh

Josh, why not buy a 6.5" 610 for both. It's a lot easier to shoot at major than the 646 - although I do shoot USPSA major with mine sometimes. Besides you're simplifying your practice and handling skills just shooting the one gun.

Jerry