Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

propellant

Ohioguy

I just picked up a WE 1911 gas airsoft gun. I picked up a couple propane tanks for fuel as well. I had forgotten how bad propane smells. I bought the pistol for my wife and I to shoot relatively cheaply in the house/garage. The smell though will keep her from shooting it (bothers me, but i can live with it). Is there another gas out there that can be used that doesn't smell like rotting zombies?

I just picked up a WE 1911 gas airsoft gun. I picked up a couple propane tanks for fuel as well. I had forgotten how bad propane smells. I bought the pistol for my wife and I to shoot relatively cheaply in the house/garage. The smell though will keep her from shooting it (bothers me, but i can live with it). Is there another gas out there that can be used that doesn't smell like rotting zombies?

Green gas does not smell like propane even though it is, plus it has the silicone oil in it. I cannot stand the smell of propane so I just use green gas. Yes, it may cost a little more. I get about 1200 -1600 shots per can of green gas depending on tempeture (and type of pistol). So for me that's about $11 a week to train. I mean is that really alot for that much practice, I don't think so. I only use propane when I shoot outside. Almost all online airsoft retailers sell green gas to ship (ground only).

My mistake. I was thinking about ordering GG, but I thought about propane, and just orderd the adapter. I just place d the order Sunday, received the gun today. I'll have to bite the bullet and place another order for GG.

My mistake. I was thinking about ordering GG, but I thought about propane, and just orderd the adapter. I just place d the order Sunday, received the gun today. I'll have to bite the bullet and place another order for GG.

Save the adapter and use the propane outdoors when it warms up next Spring.

(former Buckeye that does not miss snow.)

Bill

The smell is added to propane as a safety precaution because propane is heavier than air and does not dissipate like natural gas so it is probably not a good idea to shoot inside around a furnace or hot water heater.

• 2 weeks later...

Some green gas is propane, but not all. The green gas that I had been using was Power Green 1000, bought from Evike, which is HCFC-22, a gas with slightly different performance characteristics compared to propane. Practically speaking, what I noticed on switching to propane was a different POI, using the same BBs through the same gun.

eta: The odorant in prepackaged gas containers for AS use, regardless of the actual type of gas, is much less offensive than the stuff in propane bottles for torches or stoves, which is deliberately designed to let you know you have a leak. I notice that the silicone oil I got from Evike, designed to be added to the "dry" gas in propane cylinders, has it's own odorant, but it doesn't come close to masking the overcooked broccoli smell in the gas.

Edited by kevin c

Thanks for the info on the Evike gas, Kevin. I just picked up a WE/Socom Gear 1911. I was planning on using it in the garage. Until I found out a lot of green gas is propane. Hmm that plus water heater, furnace, and reloading stuff didn't sound like a good combo. Google search led me here I didn't even realize benos.com had an airsoft section!

hmm looks like hfc22 might just be another name for propane??

Edited by chickenfried

hmm looks like hfc22 might just be another name for propane??

My understanding is that it's a different gas. It's that the folks who package AS gas might give you different stuff, depending on who you buy from.

It's a pity the AAPS site closed down; they had a great explanatory thread on gasses. I'll try to summarize what I remember. (There is also some inconsistent terminology that I'll try to explain my understanding of.)

The gasses used for air pistols, with the exception of air tank paintball guns, are ones that are stored under pressure as a liquid in a sealed container, either the can you buy or the magazine you transfer the liquid into (CO2 guns have liquid CO2 in cartridges). There's air space in the container that holds the material in gaseous form, which gets bled off to power the shot.

There are a lot of hydrocarbon based gasses that will work, but, each having its own characteristics, they will have different performance parameters. Some guns are designed for gasses with less "oomph". They can actually be charged off a can of duster gas (also called "canned air", even though it isn't just compressed atmospheric gasses), the type you can pick up in any computer store. If you try a gas with more power, you could end up damaging such a gun. Some guns are designed for, or can be upgraded, to handle more powerful gasses. Most of the blowback AS pistols we use are designed for "green gas".

Of the gasses that I am aware of that are used for AS, the most powerful is CO2. CO2 powerlet cartridges won't even fit in guns designed for "green gas", probably a good thing as CO2 would damage a green gas gun. "Red gas" seems to be another name for HCFC-22, which has been used as a HVAC refridgerant. "Green gas" seems to be HCFC-22, propane or maybe other gasses with similar performance characteristics (the Bestek brand Power Green that I used is advertised as being HCFC-22). Somebody reportedly did a mass spectroscopy on his green gas (brand not stated) and found it matched propane.

Propane and HCFC-22 are pretty close in terms of performance, with propane being a bit more powerful (that matches my experience - I had less drop at the same range with the same BBs, using propane vs the Bestek Power Green). It may be that some companies are transitioning to propane as their green gas, since I've read that some refridgerant gasses, including HCFC-22 are being phased out.

green gas is propane faq

http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/art1.html

lab tests

http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/lab1.html

So HFC22 is not propane and most people call it red gas. But some places label their green gas hfc-22?

:confused: I'm just going to shoot and be sure to air out the place and not let fumes build up.

Edited by chickenfried