Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Lee powder dippers? Why?

GAFUN

New to reloading 9mm.

If I have a Lee powder measure, Is there any reason to buy and use a set of Lee powder dippers?

A powder measure should be much more accurate, correct?

Thanks !

Edited by GAFUN

They are another tool. Is having or using another tool ever bad? Use it properly and the dippers work for what they were intended to do. They are great for on the go reloading (for whoever does that), or for the one-off session. But talk about S___L____O____W! And messy! and you are not able to make small changes in loads because they are graduated at much more than .1 grain.

Hey GAFUN! First post? Welcome to BE.com!

No reason to to buy the dippers if you already have the measure. The lack of a scale would be the main reason to use the dippers, as they come with a volumetric chart.

Ah......The accumulation of reloading tools seems endless. B)

I'm a big fan of all things Lee. They make starting on a budget very easy and their stuff is pretty ingenious too.

But, If you ever get to the point of needed a progressive press, just pass on all other manufacturers and head to the check-out aisle with a Dillon product. Trust me, trust almost anyone posting here. Real quality is something you only pay for once.

NO! There is no reason to buy a set of measuring cups for reloading. Think about it. Whatever you are reloading is going to be involved in a controlled explosion in a mechanical device near your brain, eyes, and face. You want to use a very high degree of care and preparation to make that happen.

Make sure you have a good reloading manual (Speer, Sierra, etc), read it a couple of times and choose the best equipment your budget will allow. Tons of great info and resources on this forum in the Reloading section and FAQ's. But please leave the measuring cups to the kitchen drawer for making cookies and cakes.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

I have a set, I use them several times each year....but a scale is a lot better. Every so often I get them out to check a few loads, quick-like, in a .357 Mag, the .41 Mag, the .444 or maybe the .414 Super Mag. Large capacity straight walled cases usually, just to verfiy some low end data from the manual and to get my starting point. I've loaded maybe 200 rounds total using them over the course of 21 years. Like irons on rifles, propbably a dead or dying skill.

Hey GAFUN! First post? Welcome to BE.com!

No reason to to buy the dippers if you already have the measure. The lack of a scale would be the main reason to use the dippers, as they come with a volumetric chart.

Ah......The accumulation of reloading tools seems endless. B)

I'm a big fan of all things Lee. They make starting on a budget very easy and their stuff is pretty ingenious too.

But, If you ever get to the point of needed a progressive press, just pass on all other manufacturers and head to the check-out aisle with a Dillon product. Trust me, trust almost anyone posting here. Real quality is something you only pay for once.

Thanks!

I started cheap with a Lee classic kit $80, and for the price I am VERY impressed. Included everthing I need, except dies. I added a Lyman digital scale

for a little piece of mind. Once I get more into reloading, I will get a Dillon 550.

I loaded 10 rounds to test in my M&P Pro and they worked great (and accurate) ( MG 124, 4.0 Titegroup)

Now I am in full production mode, and based on my first 10 rounds, I can load 2 rounds per hour :rolleyes:

Russ

NO! There is no reason to buy a set of measuring cups for reloading. Think about it. Whatever you are reloading is going to be involved in a controlled explosion in a mechanical device near your brain, eyes, and face. You want to use a very high degree of care and preparation to make that happen.

Make sure you have a good reloading manual (Speer, Sierra, etc), read it a couple of times and choose the best equipment your budget will allow. Tons of great info and resources on this forum in the Reloading section and FAQ's. But please leave the measuring cups to the kitchen drawer for making cookies and cakes.

Good luck, Craig

I don't think using the dippers means throwing scales, manuals and common sense out the window. After all they work on the same volume measuring principle as most powder measures, they are just not adjustable.

They are only $10 and the chart comes in handy now and again for other stuff. I use them with a hand press occaisionally for making small batches.

Good to know......They won't do 4.0 of Titegroup?

Pretty sure not. I'd have to check my Lee manual to see what sizes come in there. If I can remember, I'll have a look when I go home for lunch.

Looks like you are correct, the smallest dipper hold 3.5 grains of Titegroup. The next size up holds 5.9....way too much.

Russ

I use the dippers for all my pistol/revolver loads with flake type powder. I can produce a more consistent load than with my measure. With a single stage press, I don't think it is that much slower. If no dipper is the right size, you can take a bigger one and file it down, or drill out a smaller one a little until you have a custom dipper for just the load you want.

Just go and get a dillon and get it over with........

I think buying a 650 at 10 times the price of a LEE set up is out of the question for the OP at this time. :( While I love my 650, I'm glad I didn't start reloading with a 650. I used a LEE 3-hole turret for many years and tens of thousands of rounds. I still use it for loading small batches of .38, .41, .45 Colt and .454. I, too, like the powder dippers. I don't use them a lot, but they're there when I need them.

Just go and get a dillon and get it over with........

I think buying a 650 at 10 times the price of a LEE set up is out of the question for the OP at this time. :( While I love my 650, I'm glad I didn't start reloading with a 650. I used a LEE 3-hole turret for many years and tens of thousands of rounds. I still use it for loading small batches of .38, .41, .45 Colt and .454. I, too, like the powder dippers. I don't use them a lot, but they're there when I need them.

You are correct. I wanted to start small before getting into a higher priced progressive press. I also noticed that most people

with high end presses have, and have kept a single stage press. I plan to load mostly 9mm, and maybe some 40. That means

I could buy a Dillon SDB and use the single stage to hand load .223. After looking over the Blue Press, I think I would start with

a 550.

Russ