Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH SLP Mark 1 or 18"?

MidMichHunter

Hello all, newbie on this board, but not to firearms. I have decided to jump into the tactical SG arena and after A LOT of reading here and on other boards, I have decided to get a FNH SLP for HD and 3 gun comp. To that end, which SLP is best for the HD/3 Gun combo? I like the mag capacity of the Mark 1 (8+1) for 3 gun but also like the 18" BBL on the non Mark 1 for HD. What are your opinions on the 18" for 3 gun? Does the extra 4" make a big difference in 3 gun? Enough of a difference to off set the loss of maneuverability in a HD role? I also like the Ghost rings on the 18", but are these a go or no/go for 3 gun & HD?

Thx for the help.

Edited by MidMichHunter

If you want to be competitive in 3 gun get the Mk1(22"). If you are more concerned with HD than competition and just want to dabble in 3 gun...get the 18" gun. My opinion of ghost rings is that they suck for compeition and HD. The extra 4" on the Mk1 gives you more usable magazine capacity. Good for both an HD role and competition. I have absolutely no problem maneuvering my 22" in competition or the hallways of my home. My choice would be for the Mk1 for any role.

I bought the 22" SLP MK II last year for 3-Gun. I have shot 4 or 5 three guns with it, won one, 2nd in another and so on. The Fiber Optic with flip up sights gets you on target fast, mine was dead on out of the box shooting slugs at 50 yards. Fold the site down when not shooting slugs. These guns run and even have less recoil than a Rem 1100.

One of the main reasons for choosing the gun was I shoot tactical and the 22" holds 8+1. I have seen too many shooter have issues with extension tubes, the FN is factory and it works.

I was running an 18" pump, they are easier to drive but they tend to beat you up more. I don't find that the extra length takes away anthing in HD, if anything I feel better having 9 rounds of fire power, and knowing its reliable. The wife wouldn't shoot the pump but she got a rattle snake and a Copper head the other day when she lit the brush pile and they came out at her, she likes that FN. She also got a coral snake with a shovel.

I have the Mk1 and it has been flawless. I run a Nordic +1 ext tube for 3 gun when allowed without any issues.

Your research has steered you in the right direction.

Thank you all for the advise, I appreciate it. It's going to be the Mark 1. I just feel I can do more with it. Also since deer hunting in a passion of mine, I can even add an extended rifled choke to it and use her here in Michigan's SG Only deer area; of course that is if I can get myself to put down my trusty 870 slug gun. The 870 is just one of thoes guns that will always find a place in my collection. I thought about making it the dedicated HD gun, but it's more at home in the woods...

Thx again for the help guys!

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but do either or both versions of the SLP have the 'auto load' function that the Browning Gold had, or do you have to push the button like a Benelli?

Thanks!

I have the Mk1 and it has been flawless. I run a Nordic +1 ext tube for 3 gun when allowed without any issues.

Your research has steered you in the right direction.

Thank you all for the advise, I appreciate it. It's going to be the Mark 1. I just feel I can do more with it. Also since deer hunting in a passion of mine, I can even add an extended rifled choke to it and use her here in Michigan's SG Only deer area; of course that is if I can get myself to put down my trusty 870 slug gun. The 870 is just one of thoes guns that will always find a place in my collection. I thought about making it the dedicated HD gun, but it's more at home in the woods...

Thx again for the help guys!

• 4 weeks later...
well you guys weren't much help so I had to buy both !!!!! :cheers:

I bought a brand new 22" for comp and a gently used 18" for home protection and so far I love em (and I work for an authorized benelli dealer). :sight:

Congrats - I'm glad no one could help and you have both.