Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Rules Poll (part deux)

I thought it would be the perfect time to rehash the old 3gun rules poll threads !!

Once again just vote and try and stay away from all of the back and forth !!

Here's the previous 3 polls from last year with clear winners:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=3gun+poll

I know, some people "dont like polls" But I have a lot of time on my hands right now, I have the flu !! ;)

Enjoy !! :cheers:

What would probably help on LR stages is a pair of tripod mounted binocs. RO or Spoter can see what is going on and doesn't get fatigued holding a pir up or worse has eyes no better than mine and can't see the hits any better than I.

Or if we could set up a sufficient shroud, get the trembler switches and strobes. a hit is a hit, the light flashes. better yet, it could be recorded and no hits need be called, just like paper. you hit it, it flashes and records the hit, you move on, not sure you really hit it? just like paper, shoot again. the recorded hits would be your score. No, I don't know how to do it, just that it could be done.

What is the realistic range of engagement on an individual target? Skirting the PC area, we shoot firearms in a 'practical manner' what would we engage? Zombies, right? how big is a zombie? Oh about 18-20 inches across the upper body, right? Not counting the arms since they have likely rotted off anyway. How far away are you going to engage the zombie with your ZSR (Zombie Stopper Rifle)? probably maximum engagement on a single target is 3-400 yards. If you were firing a volley at a massed group, then sure we might go to 600+.

This is not a Long Range Sniper competition that we are discussing is it? Nope, it is a 'Tactical' engagement (That word is just so over and wrongly used) where we will likely see targets from arms length to not generally more than 2-300 yards.

In the other thread someone asked why we insist on using our carbines as long(er) range dedicated marksman platforms. We wonder where Iron is going? make the targets small enough and far enough away and hard enough to see without magnification and people stop coming out. A 12 plate at 300 yards IF it is not buried in brush and if it has sufficient contrast is a reasonable target for irons. if it is grayed out, down low to the ground and not backed, an iron sight shooter with normal vision starts to have difficulty seeing it let alone shooting it.

Jim

Jim, you can probably take your last statement and just say, "the shooter" because I've seen good optic shooters have difficulty seeing targets thru the scope they use.

Regarding 4moa targets, some folks seem to be hung up on the issue about having to purchase larger steel for further distances??????????? there really is nothing wrong with simply using a 4moa target and having the shooter engage them from positions other than prone!!!! Trust me it makes the target quite challenging, and still allows the 4moa issue to be effective. Too often we have shooters engage targets from prone like it has to be that way!!!! kneeling, sitting, tree limbs, etc, are all good.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Jim, you can probably take your last statement and just say, "the shooter" because I've seen good optic shooters have difficulty seeing targets thru the scope they use.

Regarding 4moa targets, some folks seem to be hung up on the issue about having to purchase larger steel for further distances??????????? there really is nothing wrong with simply using a 4moa target and having the shooter engage them from positions other than prone!!!! Trust me it makes the target quite challenging, and still allows the 4moa issue to be effective. Too often we have shooters engage targets from prone like it has to be that way!!!! kneeling, sitting, tree limbs, etc, are all good.

trapr

I couldn't agree more. Should just have said shooter as I remember a year ago in NC at the CTI, they had some steel set up at about 200 yards down a wooded trail, in the shadows, you couldn't tell if you were shooting the steel or a stump, but interestingly the guys shooting irons had LESS trouble. It all depends on the situation presented what works best.

One thing I like about 3Gun is that we shoot from other than standard positions. We can generally support off what ever is available. Prone, Offhand, the trunk of a car, a tree branch or any number of other items.

Also I think a lot of people are thinking that you are stating that all targets only be 4MOA. and that they would have to buy 4" targets. All I think you mean is no less than 4MOA. or 4" at 100 and 12" at 300 and so on, bigger is OK, just not smaller. It works for me. If you don't have bigger targets, then don't go that long. Not many ranges around here can get out past 2-300 yards anyway. (And far too many shooters can't hit at that distance either)

Jim

I H8 polls and now I H8 ppres!!!!!! :roflol:

funny buddy really funny!!!!

Mikey those are very distinguished educational discussions that simply have libations in close proximity, they are not drunken whiner sessions!!!

Trapr

Glad to do it for ya !! :P

You guys were getting sooo serious in that "other" stupid rules thread !! :roflol:

I thought it would be the perfect time to rehash the old 3gun rules poll threads !!

Once again just vote and try and stay away from all of the back and forth !!

Here's the previous 3 polls from last year with clear winners:

I know, some people "dont like polls" But I have a lot of time on my hands right now, I have the flu !! ;)

Enjoy !! :cheers:

Is it the Swine variety????

Is it the Swine variety????

I dont know anymore ? I test negetive but the doctor is positive I have it ??

It's been going for well over a week now and turned into a broncial type fire !! :angry2:

They said up to 50% of patients are testing negative ?? I dont think they know what they

are doing really. Afterall they are just mechanics with a degree except when they screw

up, they dont have to fix it for free like I do... :rolleyes: