Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a bcg need fitting?

Revopop

I'm looking at getting a bcm upper, and a bcg is optional. Can I use the one I already have in my other upper to save some cash, or do I need to get one that's fitted to each upper?

I'm looking at getting a bcm upper, and a bcg is optional. Can I use the one I already have in my other upper to save some cash, or do I need to get one that's fitted to each upper?

If everything is with in spec there shouldn't be a problem....just drop it in.

• 2 weeks later...

think the key phrase here is "if everything is in spec". Would strongly advocate getting a headspace gauge and cheking your current bolt in the new upper. they're only $30 or so at brownells. I went on faith before and found that new bolt didn't quite headspace on my new DPMS barrell, but i didn't figure that out until after I'd had to mortar the rifle a dozen or so times as that was the only way to clear a live round from the chamber. doh!

-jared

Headspace should be checked, but be aware it not something you can adjust short of recutting the chamber, and not at all if it is a chrome lined chamber. The bolt is not adjustable. If it is "NOGO", then recheck with a new bolt.

Headspace should be checked, but be aware it not something you can adjust short of recutting the chamber, and not at all if it is a chrome lined chamber.

aboslutely right, another reason why i'd check headspace before firing. if i buy a new bolt from brownells and it doesn't headspace, i can just send it back to them and ask for a replacement (or actually buy a few, keep the one that headspaces and just return the others). If I'm "checking my headspace" with live rounds, brownells (or most other vendors) will probably be more reluctant to take back my once-fired bolt...

as other posters have commented, it will probably work fine. i've been the exception to that rule so am more paranoid now on this one.

-jared