Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wrong Primer - Large Rifle

Baer45

I did a search but only found info on smal primers. I got carried away on 1050 and loaded 200 rounds of 45 to shoot in 1911 before I realized I inadvertantly grabed a box of Remington Large Rifle Primers. Do I break them all down or are they safe to shoot???

Depends,

Is the primer flush with the case head ? Large pistol primers are a bit shorter than large rifle. Small pistol and rifle are same dims. Next is the load a hot one. Rifle primer will cause a bit more pressure, if you are close to the mark it may be more risk than you want to take.

I do a fair amount of primer switching but always with a plan not by accident. With a large number of loaded rounds at stake you might want to load a few more with the Rifle primers starting lower and working up to see if problems develop as you go. If Ok with the same charges the rest should be too.

Boats

+1 on Boats.

If it is not a hot load, and it fires reliably in your gun, it is probably OK. Working up towards that load is the safe way to go. If you do not get indications of high pressure while you work up to it, you are probably fine.

All of my small primers are small rifle, and I load my 40 S&W loads with them. They work fine in my pistol. Now large rifle primers may not fire reliably...

Billski

The greater worry is that of slamfires. With the taller rifle primer, as the slide pushed the round into the chamber and locks up, the headspace is now the distance from the case mouth to the primer. If the normal headspace is tighter, than the impact of the slide against the taller rifle primer could detonate the primer before the lockup is complete - a bad situation.

Safest would be to discard (safely) or disassemble (with due caution).

Guy