Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Supercomp Vs. 38 Tj

PistolJim

After a match a couple weeks ago I was gauging some reloads and ran across a couple 38 TJ's. Will these work in a gun set-up for Supercomp? Will pressures increase?

I looked both cases over and I kinda like the TJ. My Egw size die almost sizes the entire case. Just barely short of actually getting the whole case. About twice as far down as the supercomp. What are your opinions when you compare the .38 supercomp vs. .38 TJ?

I just ordered .38 Armscor rimless. I couldn't resist trying it. $65 per 1000 vs. $100 per 1000 for Starline Supercomp. The TJ is the same price as the Starline but looks like an alternitive if I don't like the Armscor.

Jim

I started case gauging more cases and now Im finding Starline 9 Supercomp? I've only shoot one IPSC match with my open gun and already learned whatever brass I bring back from the match needs to be sorted through. I found 38 super to but it won't fit my shell plate.

Could they really all be interchangeble? Is that something most guys are comfortable with? I just ask cause I don't know whether I should go through everything (1100 rounds) and get everything thats not 38 supercomp out. :huh:

Thanks

Jim

Go through it all regardless. You should be separating out all the bad stuff before you run it through your press. You never know what you might have picked up. 9x23, 9mm largo, .356 TSW all look pretty much the same when they are on the ground. Furthermore, just because it fits in the shell plate, doesn't mean it is ther right stuff either. Most people tend to run a single make of brass at a time rather than a mixed lot. Personally I only pick up brass that has been shot out of my gun.

9 supercomp is a 9x23 and is not the same as .38 supercomp. .38 super auto +p is not compatible with .38 super comp.

.38 super comp, .38 TJ and the armscore .38 super rimless will all function in you gun however due the the different internal dimensions they will produce diffrent velocities with the same powder charge. I suggest that you stick with one type of brass and develope a load with a chrono for each specific make you intend to use. When your armscore brass arives, stick with that for a while. Be carefull with your reloading practices and down blow yourself up.

Oh my! I've just made a HUGE DISCOVERY!

I started sorting through my brass and I've found quite a bit of 9 supercomp. I bought a slightly used Limcat race gun about a month 1/2 ago. With it the guy gave me about 1100-1200 pieces of brass. I never thought to go through the brass to make sure it was all 38 Supercomp. I've posted here about problems with my EGW size die shaving cases. I've also posted about infrequinte jams with the Limcat. I now beleive the guy had about 100 pieces of 9 Supercomp mixed in with the 38 Supercomp. I had some rounds loaded that didn't case gauge that I shoot at the range picked up and seperated from the rest of my brass. Out of 47 cases 45 were 9 supercomp. I don't know for sure but I'll bet I won't be having any jams from now on. All the shaved cases that I've found are 9 supercomp. I guess Im happy I discovered this. I also feel kinda foolish. :(

Tommorrow Im going shooting. It'll be good if this discovery cures all my problems. I went through some of my chrono results I had a couple of rounds that were alot slower than the rest. I'll bet 9 supercomp has more case volume than 38 Supercomp.

Lesson learned ( REALLY) :wacko:

Yup .38 super is 22.86mm just a tad shorter than 9x23. hence your problems. WFIW as of june starline changed the head stamp to 9x23 instead of 9 supercomp to lessen the confusion between it and .38 supercomp. I dont know why they didnt put 9x23 on it in the firstplace. Don't feel so bad. Thats what the forums are for. Learning.

Actually 9x23, 9SC, 38SC, 38TJ and 38 super are all .900 in length..your jams may have been in that 9x23 , because of the taper is wider at the rear of the case and smaller at the case mouth than its .38 cousins.. so if it was mixed in and fired..it may be difficult to chamber especially if your 38SC (super) chamber is on the tight side...

well sounds like you are on your way...Starline was smart in changing the headstamp..trying to read the 9SC is very tough on the eyeballs :blink:

Me???? you gotta be kidding..the only thing I am sure of is that look I get from my wife..when I should of kept my mouth shut :D

I was looking at some data charts and they had the same measurements that showed the same for all of what we were discussing..

if I get bored tonight. I'll go mike some 9x23 and others and see whats up..