Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some advice on springs etc.

GunslingerDK

I'm about to start shooting IPSC - it's about time... I plan on shooting production, minor. Been goofing around for the past 5 years and have finally gotten bored. I recently discovered this splendid forum. I have a few questions before I order some stuff from Henning, but don't want to find out I should have bought an extra spring, so I thought I'd ask you guys before ordering!

First on a little info on the gun. It's a Limited Custom. I shoot 2 different bullets, both lead. A 130gr RN and a 120gr Spitzer (have no clue what it's called, it's just very pointy :unsure:). Both loaded in CBC brass with VV N320/3.5gr and Remington small pistol primers. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to shoot them through a chrono but a guestimate is that they're running at around 1000fps.

I'm going to order the Henning xtra long firing pin and a spring to go with it, however I don't know whether to go with the 13lbs or the 14lbs? I thought about just ordering both of them. Is there much felt difference between them?

Also I'm getting a few recoil springs, a 8lbs and a 6lbs. Does that sound like a good idea?

Been reading a bit about slide glide. Since it's not an open gun and the weather here in Denmark is always shitty (pardon my French), about 50-60 in autumn and spring, in sommer never more than 80 (and that's like 10 days a year), and in winter rarely below 32.... I think the standard viscosity is the right choice?!

With a reduced recoil spring I think a buffer might be a good idea. Unfortunately I did not come across any on Henning's website, doesn't he offer these or did I just not look hard enough? Shipping to Denmark is never under $20, so it's gonna be a mighty expensive buffer if I have to order it else where!

Happy shooting to all of you :cheers:

There is not much felt difference between the hammer springs, I would go with the 14. Regarding recoil springs, I believe Henning advises 8 lbs on minor 40 but I do not know about minor 9. If you cannot get an answer, I would get both and try them out for function and feel. Springs are cheap and they wear out so if you do not have a local source then I would get two of each. Postage is expensive!

The pistol has a full length rail and I have never used slideglide regular. When it is hot; 90 plus I use the light stuff. When it is cold I use only synthetic oil on the rails and use the slideglide on the locking lugs area only. I do not want that slide getting slowed down. You will not need a buffer if you select the correct spring. I do not know anyone with a Tanfo that uses a buffer.

Good luck and Welcome to the Dark Side :ph34r:

I shoot ONLY minor as well on my Limited Custom 38super.

Recoil spring - 8lbs from Henning

Hammer Spring - 13lbs from Henning

No need for a buffer.

Other bits:

Extra long firing pin from Henning - a must have if you will run a 13lbs hammer spring.

Sear and Hammer from Henning - I won't shoot my limited custom without it!

I also use Srpinco Guide Rod (just personal preference)

Also, if you are planning to run 6lbs recoil spring, ammo and mags must be finely tuned for reliability.

I recommend 8lbs for peace of mind (specially for IPSC matches) I only use 6lbs shooting steel.

Slide Glide LIGHT for our Limited Custom.

I use 125gn - 140gn Lead Round Nose projectiles (stick with round nose!) 900-1000fps

I hope this helps.

FYI - you can't shoot the Limited Custom in production.

Cheers

Other bits:

Extra long firing pin from Henning - a must have if you will run a 13lbs hammer spring.

Cheers

I could not find any sear and hammer on his homepage. What does these parts contribute to? And why won't you shoot without it?

Why do you use this particular guide rod?

Other bits:

Cheers

I could not find any sear and hammer on his homepage. What does these parts contribute to? And why won't you shoot without it?

Why do you use this particular guide rod?

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/triggerparts.html

The hammers and sears Henning sells are excellent, they have a better angle then the factory but even more important then that they do not wear out. They are very durable. I think Henning has one of the same design hammers he has had for 10 years...

The Sprinco's some people believe help with felt recoil. When I have shot my limited 9mm with 130PF load I have always just used a 13lb hammer spring, 8lb recoil spring and never had a problem.

Honestly I am not sure what parts you are allowed to change out for ipsc production so you might want to double check on that.

Leo

Hi Andreas,

Welcome to the world of ipsc. Be careful, it can ruin your life... or at least change it. In my fourth year of shooting I quit my job and left for the US to travel and shoot for six months. Coming back my desire to go back to a day job was gone and a few years later I permanently moved to the US. Now, fourteen years later my life is all ipsc, shooting and these Tanfoglio guns. But I guess I sort of have a day job again... :roflol: :roflol:

The ultimate cool thing about IPSC is that you'll get friends all over the world and if you just join your local shooting buddies at matches, soon you'll be asked to go with them to your Nationals Championship, then shortly followed by European Championships and World Championships. I think it's a great way to see corners of the world you'll never otherwise discover. Next year, 2010, it's Serbia. My Norwegian buddies are already planning everything so you kind of don't even have a choice... just start saving money and plan your shooting vacation.

Back on the real topic I guess...

For minor loads you could shoot anything from 6lb - 10lb springs. I shot a local Steel Challenge match in 2008 here in Colorado and I used my same 40 S&W, but downloaded to about 135-140 power factor (165 gr bullets and 4.0 Clays if I remember correct). I experimented with both 8lb and 6lb springs. The 8lb spring was very reliable and I could probably take it to any match and have 100% function. I then started playing with the 6lb and I found it to shoot softer. It required that I kept the gun very clean and lightly lubed with Slide-Glide Lite. I really liked how the 6lb spring shot. Note that my gun has been more than broken in, has a very minor lightening in the slide and been IonBond'ed. Frame and Slide work well together and I also run a 13lb hammer spring which reduces the resistance as well.

This year I shot a couple of local Bianchi Cup matches. I have a 38 super minor upper (very old, lighter slide than current model). I put it on my Limited 40 frame. The loads were Hornady 121 HAP bullets as these are super accurate with Clays Powder. Don't remember how much, but a nice and soft load. Not sure exactly why, but I had to use a 10lb spring to make it reliable. I'm sure the 8lb would have been much more pleasant to shoot. One of the reasons I probably had to increase the recoil spring weight is because my mags had very stiff springs in them. I played with it a little more later and cut a coil off which seemed to take some of the pressure off. With a little more dedication to it I'm sure I could have made it work reliable with 8lb spring. Not sure if I could really make a 6lb spring work with hollow points. I would probably have to shift to round nose and done some polishing on the slide/barrel to make sure it's well broken in.

Springs are cheap so I would get 6lb, 8lb and 10lb. That way you can experiment with different loads and make sure you have a heavy enough spring for the gun to work every single time. As your gun gets smoother etc and you get in tune with it, go lighter and make sure it works 100%.

Hammer springs...

13lb spring is the lightest you can go and this is what I'm running 100% of the time. If you do, you'll need my XL firing pin if your gun is a large frame and my Long firing pin if it's a small frame. Those parts are no brainers, change them and you'll have reliable ignition, lighter trigger pull and be able to run lighter recoil springs as well.

You can also call me and speak a danish if you want; + 1 720 352 1080 or text me at Facebook when you have a question; Henning Wallgren. This forum is also full of knowledgeable Tanfoglio enthusiasts who are always willing to help out. There are very few things who isn't covered here and the chance of running into something that nobody has encountered would be slim.

Almost forgot... on recoil buffers etc. The way the guide rod is constructed you couldn't just run a buffer and expect things to work. The guide rod head is very small and a buffer would get chewed up quickly. However.. there are issues with the current guide rod where it (in particular major loads) destroys the frame by pushing material out. If you have a hard time pulling the upper off from the frame it's because material is blocking the barrel lug. In less than a month I will have my prototype guide rod ready which sits in the frame differently. If it works well, it will be accompanied by a 7075 aluminum shock buffer.

Det er god !

Thanks Henning.

I'll be filling in an order shortly. I just have to find out if my gun is a large frame or a small frame. I've read here on the forum that you can tell by the length of the magazine, I just can't find the thread now?! It measures 5.11", can anybody recall the numbers of the 2 frames?

Thanks Henning.

I'll be filling in an order shortly. I just have to find out if my gun is a large frame or a small frame. I've read here on the forum that you can tell by the length of the magazine, I just can't find the thread now?! It measures 5.11", can anybody recall the numbers of the 2 frames?

Large frame mags measure 1.345" x 0.850"

Small frame mags measure 1.250" x 0.800"

Edited by Dyroe